Grey Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
How does this bull's phenotype suit you? Do you think he would sire easy keeping daughters?

MG_Bull.jpg

Our MG breeders can help you if you let us know at least who he is! Based on a picture any conjecture would be worthless.

I'm just trying to hone my eye. This bull is not available here, anyway. I just want to know what strengths and weaknesses people see in his phenotype.

the bull looks fine, but you will be hard pressed to figure out how easy-keeping his daughters will be. i can tell you they will have above average muscle which takes a lot of calories to support, but thats about it.

if you want to know how the daughters will be, you have to find out exactly how the breeder manages his cows.

Aero is right, it is impossible to determine most genetic traits by observing ONE single dimension picture. However, what I can determine from THIS picture only is - he appears a little short-bodied, is slightly splay-footed, and slightly cow hocked. His left hind foot displays a weak pastern. He is obviously in show condition, which masks many legitimate phenotype features which are true indications of in individual's true genetic make-up.

I feel that he woud be a fine breeding bull both for a cow-calf operation and also for a purebred agenda - but should be "let-down" with great care after his show career finishes. And watch his legs and stifles!

DOC HARRIS

Keren":3f61efe2 said:
nice bull.

If you can tell me who he is and the breeding behind him, I can tell you if his daughters are likely to be easy keeping.

This is the bull. I don't really know anything about him, I was just browsing when I came upon him. Again, I am just trying to train my eye to select for easier keeping, early maturing phenotype. I thought he might fit the bill and wanted others opinions.

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i ... 9=525E5950

OH I know the Wise's. They have some nice cattle. Not large cattle but they do seem to be fairly easy keeping. Very solid cattle.
Cindy.JPG

Lot39V293.JPG

Some females from their website

he's got a solid pedigree, gberry, from the top half of him, I'd say he will fill those shoes just fine and do a bleeding good job of it.

He's got star chief - miss brandy - martini - rembrandt - all individuals and family lines that you honestly cant go wrong with. Some studs in there that will set you up for success - Monterey, Orcadia Park, Melaleuca, all these breeders have contributed to the founding of our herd, and we continue to source their blood from time to time, particularly Monterey have had a heavy influence on our success as breeders. Particularly, we use these studs because we produce BRILLIANT females from them. In fact, all the blood from these lines has come from us purchasing females. He even has a tic of Michaelong in there - a fantastic bull out of Helen's best cow family. What I'm trying to say here, he has a stacked pedigree, choc full of maternal potential.

When I first saw the pic, my ears (or eyes) pricked up. He seemed familiar but I couldnt place him. I honestly cannot really fault him phenotypically. Now that I see who he is, I understand. This boy is really exhibiting his top-notch breeding.

Between the phenotype, and the pedigree, I would not hesitate to use him at all. In fact, I'm currently trying to think of which of our cows should be AIed to him lol

Now I understand why he looked familiar ... he was the interbreed bull from perth last year.

One of my friends uses Montereys and they are fantastic. The last few years Max has started winning over the Montereys which is fantastic news for him. There are some really nice greys over this side of the country.

Keren":29advypb said:
he's got a solid pedigree, gberry, from the top half of him, I'd say he will fill those shoes just fine and do a bleeding good job of it.

He's got star chief - miss brandy - martini - rembrandt - all individuals and family lines that you honestly cant go wrong with. Some studs in there that will set you up for success - Monterey, Orcadia Park, Melaleuca, all these breeders have contributed to the founding of our herd, and we continue to source their blood from time to time, particularly Monterey have had a heavy influence on our success as breeders. Particularly, we use these studs because we produce BRILLIANT females from them. In fact, all the blood from these lines has come from us purchasing females. He even has a tic of Michaelong in there - a fantastic bull out of Helen's best cow family. What I'm trying to say here, he has a stacked pedigree, choc full of maternal potential.

When I first saw the pic, my ears (or eyes) pricked up. He seemed familiar but I couldnt place him. I honestly cannot really fault him phenotypically. Now that I see who he is, I understand. This boy is really exhibiting his top-notch breeding.

Between the phenotype, and the pedigree, I would not hesitate to use him at all. In fact, I'm currently trying to think of which of our cows should be AIed to him lol

Now I understand why he looked familiar ... he was the interbreed bull from perth last year.

That's good to hear. I really did just stumble across him and thought he looked pretty good. Actually Knersie and I had been exchanging PMs regarding the phenotype of several bulls. I have been trying to select for earlier maturing, easier keeping phenotype and Knersie has been kind enough to lend some of his expertise to my quest.

I had put forth the question of whether an earlier maturing bull might be selected by using EPDs it seemed to me that a bull with above average WW epd and below avg YW epd would tend to be the earlier maturing type. He agreed, but recommended that the 600 day EPD might be more useful than the YW. Here in the US, we only have WW and YW so I decided to search the Australian database for bulls with above avg WW epd and below avg 600 day weight EPD. He was one of the bulls that came up with this search and I felt he had a good, early maturing phenotype which supports my hypothesis. I also liked his muscle and capacity and wanted to see what others thought.

Nice find GB...has he been collected for export? That would bring some badly needed genetics into the U.S. (we're still working on the Lerwick Park bull)...

Wisteria Farms":3f0vl9zr said:
Nice find GB...has he been collected for export? That would bring some badly needed genetics into the U.S. (we're still working on the Lerwick Park bull)...
I don't know. I have emailed Southend but haven't received a reply yet.