grey baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd have to say a black bull on a yellow baldy cow. Another way would be a Charolais bull on a black baldy cow. Another way would be a Hereford bull on a Charolais X Angus cow. I'm sure there are other combinations.

I say use the Charolais X Hereford cow because you can always get the black hide out of your next calf crop by using a different bull if market conditions ever warrant. Plus, I don't want a bunch of black hided cows laying around in my shade in the summer! ;-)

This one should get a bunch of different answers! I say pick the cow that best fits the environment that we make them live and work in. Then use the bull you need to get the kind of calves you want. We can always help one bull cope with an environment that is not friendly to him cheaper than helping the 30 or 40 cows that he services. Just my opinion, of course! And opinions are like what?

Charolais bull on black baldie cow. This is a very common cross in my area, and sells great at the local market.

On second thought......
Texan":tc6ila7e said:
......Another way would be a Hereford bull on a Charolais X Angus cow....
......I'm not too sure how often this one would give a grey baldy. I'm thinking that some of them would be grey baldies, but could be half or more yellow baldies.

Obviously, genetics never was my strong point, if I even have one. Wish txag was here. When it comes to all of the principles of genetics, she's the real deal! For the Rules of Genetics, however, its GP......

Texan":246rjp3e said:
On second thought......
Texan":246rjp3e said:
......Another way would be a Hereford bull on a Charolais X Angus cow....
......I'm not too sure how often this one would give a grey baldy. I'm thinking that some of them would be grey baldies, but could be half or more yellow baldies.

Obviously, genetics never was my strong point, if I even have one. Wish txag was here. When it comes to all of the principles of genetics, she's the real deal! For the Rules of Genetics, however, its GP......
But greenpasture won't explain to us how the Angus breeders messed up the "rules of genetics".

la4angus":38eqe2m4 said:
But greenpasture won't explain to us how the Angus breeders messed up the "rules of genetics".
LA, I'm sure he's worried that you Black is Beautiful guys would become even more frustrated by his efforts to explain. But I am in agreement with you. Looks like he could at least try to draw you a picture or something.....

he could at least try to draw you a picture or something.....

He better use crayola markers, I'm afraid that crayons or colored pencils may not be bold enough for La to get the picture!!!

certherfbeef":ikdoeq75 said:
he could at least try to draw you a picture or something.....

He better use crayola markers, I'm afraid that crayons or colored pencils may not be bold enough for La to get the picture!!!
He might want to do some of the "kiddies at the fair" that he was talking about going to watch a few days ago.

I've gotten gray baldie calves out of a black white faced bull and the old type "blond" Simmental cows. I've also gotten a few with the same bull on a gray Brahman cow.. but you didn't mention anything about "Bos Indicus" influence.

CopeMan":28ecw0ep said:
Charolais bull on black baldie cow. This is a very common cross in my area, and sells great at the local market.

I agree, this is the best way!
This way you've got a good cow herd whatever bull you put on them.
And you should get a higher percentage of grey baldys.

Hillbilly

I got a nice grey baldy simm. heifer out of a red diluter baldy simmental and a bwf simmental bull. There's a pic of her on my site.

If a black baldy is considered to be a F1 cross of an Angus & Hereford, and a Murray Grey is a very close 'grey' cousin to the Angus, then it would make sense that a 'Grey Baldy' would be easily produced in a cross of Murray Grey and Hereford.

KEW

KEW":d1p80kwo said:
If a black baldy is considered to be a F1 cross of an Angus & Hereford, and a Murray Grey is a very close 'grey' cousin to the Angus, then it would make sense that a 'Grey Baldy' would be easily produced in a cross of Murray Grey and Hereford.

KEW

I would think you would get alot of red calves??

Hillbilly

hillbilly":zncjxrfq said:
KEW":zncjxrfq said:

KEW

Hillbilly

I think the color diluter gene would give you more yellows then reds. I call them pinks, but yellow is the accepted term.

Hillbilly, why didn;t you tell me the fishing was so terrible at Pomme?

dun

dun":vah8ixpj said:
hillbilly":vah8ixpj said:
KEW":vah8ixpj said:

KEW

Hillbilly

I think the color diluter gene would give you more yellows then reds. I call them pinks, but yellow is the accepted term.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you, last time I was there I pee'd in the lake and kilt all the fish...both of um.

Hillbilly

dun

hillbilly":2e5073m6 said:
dun":2e5073m6 said:
hillbilly":2e5073m6 said:
KEW":2e5073m6 said:

KEW

Hillbilly

Sorry, I forgot to tell you, last time I was there I pee'd in the lake and kilt all the fish...both of um.

Hillbilly

dun

And I thought it was my wife sticking her fish killer feet in it the last time we were there.

dun

Hillbilly

Actually what happens is the calves will be a very dark grey (dun) colour with a white head/face. If the Grey animal in the cross happened to be a dark grey (dun) animal to start then there is a possibility the of a black calf with white head/face. I will look for some pictures, not sure I still have them.

KEW

Latest posts