Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
These are greenwillow's pictures.

0b88886b.jpg
[/img]

2d5755ef.jpg
[/img]

This is WBL Chief 20F, a bull I just traded for this spring. He is 8 yrs this fall. Everybody thinks I was holding my nose, but I was demonstrating how tall he is. Chief's nickname is "Ben," as he was raised by a local breeder named Ben Lumpkin. His sire was ACE Main Chief 123A, dam was WBE Equal Viki. GSF Viki Hurrah 278C, STLBRK Gilead 67K, BT Vanessa 403T, WSF Mainspring 225P, LPH Equal 8GPW are some of the names in the pedigree. I'll try to produce some pictures of the cows in the future.

Campground Cattle":1n418uw6 said:
What happened to the mane on that hereford looks like there is some Simm in the woodpile.
I sure hope not. The breeder was not the cheating kind. I don't see how the Simm would have contributed to his siring the best marbling steer my butcher has ever seen, though. Otherwise, what do you think?

Copenhagen & Shiner B":2271huem said:
What did you have in that aqua colored tub?
That "tub" is an old toboggan that belongs to my boys, and I drafted it as a feed pan. The contents were 14% creep pellets to bring him up to the front of the pasture.

greenwillowherefords":39khqriz said:
Campground Cattle":39khqriz said:
What happened to the mane on that hereford looks like there is some Simm in the woodpile.
I sure hope not. The breeder was not the cheating kind. I don't see how the Simm would have contributed to his siring the best marbling steer my butcher has ever seen, though. Otherwise, what do you think?

I thought you were a purest of the breed. I just have my opinon that overnight the mane and pigment showed up. Just to coincidental.

greenwillowherefords":1bh3lo25 said:
Copenhagen & Shiner B":1bh3lo25 said:
What did you have in that aqua colored tub?
That "tub" is an old toboggan that belongs to my boys, and I drafted it as a feed pan. The contents were 14% creep pellets to bring him up to the front of the pasture.
I was just curious. I figured that it was checkers, sweet feed, or something similar.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":nqeq8f2k said:
Campground Cattle":nqeq8f2k said:
That bull doesnt have a white furry streak going down the back of it's neck like my Hereford bull, but it is still a nice bull.

I have a few that have excessive white, that I think he will equal out on the calves.

He was on a crossbred herd before I got him, and some of his cross-bred calves look like purebred Herefords, even to the featherneck! I bought one of his steer calves to butcher and try the meat for myself, that looked about 2/3-3/4 Hereford, and about 1/4-3/8 Red Brangus, based on his appearance and his mother's. The terrific marbling steer was butchered right before I got the bull, and I did talk to the butcher about it.
A friend of mine butchered a black-baldie steer sired by Ben, and is very pleased.

Campground Cattle":145ianhs said:
greenwillowherefords":145ianhs said:
Campground Cattle":145ianhs said:

I thought you were a purest of the breed. I just have my opinon that overnight the mane and pigment showed up. Just to coincidental.
I have a friend who I would stake my life on his honesty, who has a branch of line-bred cattle which are mostly red-necked. If the bull had come from anyone besides Lumpkin, (who died of cancer) I would have been more suspicious. I won't argue this with you, I know you'll tear me up. I prefer the featherneck, and if I really thought the bull wasn't pure, I wouldn't have got him, that's all I can say. Someday, I'll let you see a picture of my Hazlett bull I had before; there's no room for argument on him.

Willow if that bull is pure Hereford I will eat my hat in front of a doz witnesses on the Court House Square any day of the week you want.
He has not the Hereford markings, I will be willing to bet $10.00 to a donut that he has some simmy or other blood in him besides 100% Hereford. JMHO.

la4angus":3ri4omeh said:
Willow if that bull is pure Hereford I will eat my hat in front of a doz witnesses on the Court House Square any day of the week you want.
He has not the Hereford markings, I will be willing to bet $10.00 to a donut that he has some simmy or other blood in him besides 100% Hereford. JMHO.

I refuse to be baited. Does the bull look good or not?

If he's not, and its proven, his calves will be sold commercial. That's all I'll say. I think he'd throw some mighty fine black-baldies out of your Angus cows!

greenwillowherefords":3mpmbmf1 said:
If he's not, and its proven, his calves will be sold commercial. That's all I'll say. I think he'd throw some mighty fine black-baldies out of your Angus cows!

Are you going to try to prove that he is 100% Hereford thru DNA testing.

la4angus":b197yt96 said:
greenwillowherefords":b197yt96 said:

If I do, and he isn't, are you going to buy him to raise black-baldies?

He does look like he has some simmental in him (in the second picture). A goodlooking bull nonetheless.

greenwillowherefords":kwm7xx9u said:
la4angus":kwm7xx9u said:
greenwillowherefords":kwm7xx9u said:

I just may do that. Have to see some of his calves first along with their records. How old is he.

la4angus":3pef5ztm said:
greenwillowherefords":3pef5ztm said:
la4angus":3pef5ztm said:
greenwillowherefords":3pef5ztm said:

I just may do that. Have to see some of his calves first along with their records. How old is he.
8 years.

Latest posts