Greenhorn Deckhand on the Bearing Sea - Ask me a Question

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire

Reaction score
You may have seen us crab fisherman on the Bearing Sea on the Discovery Channel. I am a greenhorn. I am on the Northwestern. Sig is my boss. As me a question.

dun":3lvnwxs1 said:
Why did you misspell the name of the sea?

Because I am a greenhorn and greenhorns don't know much of anything. Sig is the only one on the Northwestern than knows how to spell good. He is sleeping now after a 30 hour run. He doesn't know I am on the computer. Go ahead, ask me another question. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

john250":2bcp531x said:
dun":2bcp531x said:
Why did you misspell the name of the sea?

Bwaaaahaha. :lol2:

I like it when people make fun of me. After all, I am a greenhorn. It is -30 below out here with swells of 20 feet. Sig thinks I am cracking ice so the boat doesn't get too heavy. The commentator for our show is riding with us. He is also the star for the dirtiest jobs on the same channel. He was telling us he does a few Ford car commercials also.

I'll try to find the link to a utube done by Mike Rowe.
He recounts being in your very position. He is talking to the captain, and he says "OSHA" and the captain replies "ocean".
And the captain continues;--"Son, my job is not to get you home alive. My job is to get you home RICH!"

john250":5ww5fsg7 said:
I'll try to find the link to a utube done by Mike Rowe.
He recounts being in your very position. He is talking to the captain, and he says "OSHA" and the captain replies "ocean".
And the captain continues;--"Son, my job is not to get you home alive. My job is to get you home RICH!"

That was a great story John. Mike is a character. He sure is a ladies man. Don't tell him this but he is overdue for a bath.

I hope I make $40,000. Not bad for a couple weeks work. Sig thinks we can beat last year's total weight because he paid a guy to scout out where a whole bunch of crab are. He's got some type of infared sensor and sonar and maps the location and then we get there before the cameras are turned on.

Jon Bon Jovi's theme song is playing now on Sig's stereo system. We are in the wheel house watching whales pass by.

Aren;t you afraid you'll get busted fishing for crab out of season?

dun":20dxlja0 said:
Aren;t you afraid you'll get busted fishing for crab out of season?

I knew someone would figure that out sooner or later. Since this is a documented and an archived board, I cannot comment specifically on all the details. Sig likes other kind of fishing also. He usually rotate species and of course keeps his license valid. We've only have 80 crab boats down here nowadays. Far less crab and boats down here than they used to have. Every now and then the coast guard will board our ship to make sure were are fishing in season and to gives us an impromtu safety drill. One of their helicoptors were watching us today taking photos. Sig says the satellites can catch boats also. Put it this way, we catch allot of crab when it is overcast....in season of course.

im watching deadiest catch right now.an they are showing sigs boat now.i like capt phils boat to.phil is sidelined with bloodclots.an may never get on the bering sea again.

bigbull338":1qr87n33 said:
im watching deadiest catch right now.an they are showing sigs boat now.i like capt phils boat to.phil is sidelined with bloodclots.an may never get on the bering sea again.

bigbull...can you see me? I am the worm in the corner putting the bait in the cage. That stuffs stinks. We were filmed in January. It is allot warmer here now. Phil's boys ain't worth a hoot. Sig was telling Phil he better quit smoking those stogies. He smokes one right after another.

My wife is obsessed with that show. She won't admit it, but I know she has the hots for Sig. Our anniversary is Aug. 21. If you're not doing anything, would you come over and have dinner at our house and tell manly sea stories? That would be the best anniversary present I could ever give her. Oh, and if you bring Sig along I guarantee you she'll kiss you. I won't mind. I love her that much.

VanC":lx1wer27 said:
My wife is obsessed with that show. She won't admit it, but I know she has the hots for Sig. Our anniversary is Aug. 21. If you're not doing anything, would you come over and have dinner at our house and tell manly sea stories? That would be the best anniversary present I could ever give her. Oh, and if you bring Sig along I guarantee you she'll kiss you. I won't mind. I love her that much.

Sig's brother gets on me all the time. He says there is a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things. Sig doesn't like greenhorns until we prove ourselves and I am afraid I better not ask him to come to Illinois until I prove myself. I have some family in Barrington Hills though, so I won't mind telling the sea stories why we drink some pirate's rum. We drove across the Wisconsin line one year to see "Rush" when they were hot in the 80s. Also, my little brother lives in Chicago and my parents were raised in the burbs so I am familiar with Illinois. On one show this last winter, Sig slammed his hand down on his writing platform because he was so upset and ended up cracking a hand bone.

Off the record...this persona is an expert kisser. Are you sure? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HerefordSire":20uywfff said:
Off the record...this persona is an expert kisser. Are you sure? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:) I like this persona better. :pretty:

FarmGirl10":2igus7y4 said:
HerefordSire":2igus7y4 said:
:) I like this persona better. :pretty:

I sure am glad FarmGirl10. Not too many people know I use to pose in JC Penney Catalogs. One time I was making a JC modeling appointment, and I was standing outside the world's largest building in Chicago (at the time), and I stood still and looked up to the top of the building and almost fell down I was so dizzy. But out here on the Bering sea, my modeling credentials and kissing experience are worth about as much as an undersized king crab. We throw them back in or Sig can get fined. The Opelio are a much smaller crab. Sig calls me pretty boy and his brother calls me playboy, and the other hands call me player. The other boat captains call me greenhorn.

FarmGirl10":35aenrli said:
HerefordSire has crabs! :lol: :mrgreen:

We get paid for having crabs. No crabs, no money. No money, no kissy. No kissy, no happy. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HerefordSire":ici85bbv said:
FarmGirl10":ici85bbv said:
HerefordSire has crabs! :lol: :mrgreen:

We get paid for having crabs. No crabs, no money. No money, no kissy. No kissy, no happy. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I thought this theory was disproved last week. :lol:

Latest posts