Greeneville TN Livestock Auction

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't think your Holstein heifer price was that bad, I mean it wasn't good, but 5wt Holstein steers were bringing 2.10 here 2 weeks ago and went to 1.65 last week. So if you were expecting 1.20 and got 75$ I'm not going to say you got took, it's cheap, but not impossible to believe. Your other calf doesn't look to bad, but far from top selling, I would have expected 1.60$ in your area. What would be the next barn that you could try?

Also, are you working on a 963? Saw those pictures and just wondered.

denvermartinfarms":fidrud07 said:
I don't think your Holstein heifer price was that bad, I mean it wasn't good, but 5wt Holstein steers were bringing 2.10 here 2 weeks ago and went to 1.65 last week. So if you were expecting 1.20 and got 75$ I'm not going to say you got took, it's cheap, but not impossible to believe. Your other calf doesn't look to bad, but far from top selling, I would have expected 1.60$ in your area. What would be the next barn that you could try?

Knoxville livestock would be my best bet but I would have to take off work on Wednesday. Newport would be another option. I was at Knoxville this past Wednesday and wish I had took these four calves, I thought they were selling high. Saw a jersey steer 700# bring $1.60. I would rather have my black and white steer than the jersey.

The 953 keep cracking that hydraulic tube. I really like that machine, it will do a lot of work quick.

rdp58":1ohdvkzq said:
denvermartinfarms":1ohdvkzq said:

Knoxville livestock would be my best bet but I would have to take off work on Wednesday. Newport would be another option. I was at Knoxville this past Wednesday and wish I had took these four calves, I thought they were selling high. Saw a jersey steer 700# bring $1.60. I would rather have my black and white steer than the jersey.

The 953 keep cracking that hydraulic tube. I really like that machine, it will do a lot of work quick.

Sorry your talk with them didn't go better. I don't know how your conversation went exactly, but if they got an attitude for no good reason, I would make sure to take my business elsewhere if at all possible. There's a right way and a wrong way to get your point across in a situation like that. I've taken some to Newport before and they did ok. Randy Hodge usually does a good job making sure cattle bring what they're worth, and don't get stolen.

The top line on the heifer looks off. It may be the picture. Does she have a dip behind her shoulder?
I agree that the steer looks to have more head than frame. It could be the picture.

I'm not taking anything away from your calves, I wouldn't do that. I have noticed over the years, that when the market is dropping, calves like you have pictured usually start falling first, and fall the fastest. There are less buyers at the yard looking for calves like that as well. Perhaps one wasn't there, or one left before your calves sold.

Is the date you put with the picture right? Dec. 2013? If so the calves were over a year old and only 5 weights.

You ever thought about taking yours to Glade (chcattleco.com)? They grade and weigh them when you unload them, and give you a price on what they will give for them. If you say yes you have your check in hand in 15 min, say no and they put them back on the trailer. The price list for Wednesday take up is posted every Tuesday morning.

J&D Cattle":3h9jy8nx said:
denvermartinfarms":3h9jy8nx said:
Kingfisher":3h9jy8nx said:
I encourage everyone to watch their calves sell. Why spend a year getting them ready and then just have to take whatever they bring wif you are not there.

What do you do if they are not bringing what you expect them to bring?
If they are not bringing what you expect or want, you start bidding yourself and either get them where you want them or buy them back.

Denver, what do the barns around here charge you when you buy them back? Do you eat the normal fees or do they waive them? Do most barns charge you anything if you just no sale them? What about your way Kenny?[/quote]
J&D, it cost the same here if I buy them back or someone else buys them. I have only seen 1 calf no-saled in a long long time and it actually brought more than it was worth.

hillbilly beef man":2nry73ge said:
You ever thought about taking yours to Glade (chcattleco.com)? They grade and weigh them when you unload them, and give you a price on what they will give for them. If you say yes you have your check in hand in 15 min, say no and they put them back on the trailer. The price list for Wednesday take up is posted every Tuesday morning.
I don't want to take anything away from Craig Hammonds (chcattle) but that is not the type cattle he will give top price for either. I will not comment on the holstein but the black calf to me has the look of a longhorn cross. Still a little cheap probably. Buy as bigfoot said when the market drops even a little the calves that are just a little different are discounted the worse. If you are ever off on Monday follow RT#70 north out of Greenville and come to Jonesville, VA to our yard. I will buy your lunch at least.

J&D Cattle":257g9vmh said:
denvermartinfarms":257g9vmh said:
Kingfisher":257g9vmh said:
I encourage everyone to watch their calves sell. Why spend a year getting them ready and then just have to take whatever they bring wif you are not there.

What do you do if they are not bringing what you expect them to bring?
If they are not bringing what you expect or want, you start bidding yourself and either get them where you want them or buy them back.

Denver, what do the barns around here charge you when you buy them back? Do you eat the normal fees or do they waive them? Do most barns charge you anything if you just no sale them? What about your way Kenny?[/quote]
I don't do it often, and only do it at one barn where I have a good relationship with the owners. I have never been charged anything for buying my own cattle back, But I sell and psy commission on hundreds to every 1 that I take back home.

If they are not bringing what you expect or want, you start bidding yourself and either get them where you want them or buy them back.[/quote]

I don't do it often, and only do it at one barn where I have a good relationship with the owners. I have never been charged anything for buying my own cattle back, But I sell and psy commission on hundreds to every 1 that I take back home.[/quote]
Yes, the things that denver and I get by with you might not. It is all with who you are dealing with and how well they know you and want your business. If you are selling 500 head a year of course you are going to be treated better than if you are selling 3 head. Maybe it should not be that way but it is.

kenny thomas":gbayp1t0 said:
hillbilly beef man":gbayp1t0 said:
I don't want to take anything away from Craig Hammonds (chcattle) but that is not the type cattle he will give top price for either. I will not comment on the holstein but the black calf to me has the look of a longhorn cross. Still a little cheap probably. Buy as bigfoot said when the market drops even a little the calves that are just a little different are discounted the worse. If you are ever off on Monday follow RT#70 north out of Greenville and come to Jonesville, VA to our yard. I will buy your lunch at least.
He would still be discounted, but at least he would know ahead of time what they will bring.

All local markets are seriously down. It has been sliding since last September. Most local stocker buyers apparently don't have grass and hay. Then the dry weather, storage of pasture and hay, has brought a flood of cattle to the market. The finished fed market has dropped to about $1.09. depending on what you are reading. Many of the backgrounders and many feedlots apparently lost the money they made in 2014 and early 2015. So there may be both a storage of funds as well as the desire to buy cattle.
It started with longshoremen wanting higher wages last summer and refused to load a huge amount of beef on ships on the West coast going to Asia since meat is perishable. This started a back-up of fed beef in feed lots. The cattle ready for processing then got much too heavy. Packers couldn't handle the larger of them except on the bull rails and this slowed the rate of slaughter even more. Then too big for the box, and too big for the consumer. The feed lots lost money. Our feeder calves probably got too high last spring. Then the backgrounder lost money when the feedlots reduced what they were paying for feeder cattle.
Even the Great Britain exit from the EU appears to have cause some uncertainty and to me this seems completely unrelated. (However, a livestock buyer once told me that if the New York Stock Exchange drops, then the cattle market follows with a drop even though they are not related).
I sold four black calves in the 500-525 range in April for $1.94 per pound. I sold 2 more similar weight, same sex, black, sired by the same bull from dams who were half-sisters from the same pasture for $1.01 and $1.02 two weeks ago. So I know your pain. I have a lot of cattle that needs to be sold and I am out of grass and feeding hay. I am already short of hay for the winter.
I have sold at Greeneville lately cheap but I beat a buying station price. I have watched several recent sales at Knoxville Livestock Center at Mascot and they were low. The range from top to bottom is wide there. I have looked at Athens and at the Glade Springs prices. I have followed the newspaper prices for Kingsport, Newport and Abington. So Greeneville itself is not the problem. Cattle are cheap. The best prices are for good cattle ready for the feedlot.

Rogersville Farmer":1aey5g4i said:
All local markets are seriously down. It has been sliding since last September. Most local stocker buyers apparently don't have grass and hay. Then the dry weather, storage of pasture and hay, has brought a flood of cattle to the market. The finished fed market has dropped to about $1.09. depending on what you are reading. Many of the backgrounders and many feedlots apparently lost the money they made in 2014 and early 2015. So there may be both a storage of funds as well as the desire to buy cattle.
It started with longshoremen wanting higher wages last summer and refused to load a huge amount of beef on ships on the West coast going to Asia since meat is perishable. This started a back-up of fed beef in feed lots. The cattle ready for processing then got much too heavy. Packers couldn't handle the larger of them except on the bull rails and this slowed the rate of slaughter even more. Then too big for the box, and too big for the consumer. The feed lots lost money. Our feeder calves probably got too high last spring. Then the backgrounder lost money when the feedlots reduced what they were paying for feeder cattle.
Even the Great Britain exit from the EU appears to have cause some uncertainty and to me this seems completely unrelated. (However, a livestock buyer once told me that if the New York Stock Exchange drops, then the cattle market follows with a drop even though they are not related).
I sold four black calves in the 500-525 range in April for $1.94 per pound. I sold 2 more similar weight, same sex, black, sired by the same bull from dams who were half-sisters from the same pasture for $1.01 and $1.02 two weeks ago. So I know your pain. I have a lot of cattle that needs to be sold and I am out of grass and feeding hay. I am already short of hay for the winter.
I have sold at Greeneville lately cheap but I beat a buying station price. I have watched several recent sales at Knoxville Livestock Center at Mascot and they were low. The range from top to bottom is wide there. I have looked at Athens and at the Glade Springs prices. I have followed the newspaper prices for Kingsport, Newport and Abington. So Greeneville itself is not the problem. Cattle are cheap. The best prices are for good cattle ready for the feedlot.

Did you see that this was originally posted in January of 2015?

tom4018":3l87qwq6 said:
Rogersville Farmer":3l87qwq6 said:

Did you see that this was originally posted in January of 2015?
Oops!

A lot of folks predicted a $1.00lb for 5-6 weight calves by fall. And that was in February at the high end of the market. All those folks who held heifers back when the prices were high screwed up and lost a pile of money. We had some very good discussions on this topic last winter.

Latest posts