Green Post or Red Post?

Help Support CattleToday:

I compare by the weight not the color. But even that doesn't assure I'm getting the best product. Bought several bundles in the 80's that split and chipped when you drove them in with a sledge hammer. Still have a small piece from one of them in my arm. Something about the materials they were made from I guess.

Never seen the red ones. My preference are the silver ones, they seem to last longer. But I have bought my fair share of the green ones and have been satisfied with how they held up.

Katherine

I thought for sure I would get a one liner hobby comment from Caustic on this one :D

Never saw no silver ones around here. Have saw them on some highways north of us but none in the area. One thing deceptive is locally one place will have the red ones as the heavier metal and then at another place it will be the green the green that is the heaviest.

I've used both green and red, can't really tell any difference. I did get a hold of some green ones that started splitting just using a hand held T-post driver. They were made in Mexico.

I like the straight ones....nothing worse than trying to get a curved used post to stand up straight ;-)

I've been buying at TSCs in Weatherford, Stevenville, and Fort Worth over the past several years.

The only one I see longer than 6 foot are green ones. 6 foot is okay for inerior fencing but too short for perimiter barrier. The shortest I ever use is 6 foot 6 inches, when Home Depot in Granbury had them, and that's for interior fencing.

I buy 7 foot green and they hold up great in this climate. Drove some over in East Texas and they were rust colored in 5 years. I have some here over 25 years old that are still mostly green. Reflective tips are faded tho.

I think that each company that makes them have their own color scheme, small top color and rest of post, for me they all bend when they hit a root with the front end loader shoving them in.

Cabo":3sof2yce said:
I think that each company that makes them have their own color scheme, small top color and rest of post, for me they all bend when they hit a root with the front end loader shoving them in.

When I got on that loamy bottom land and pushed them in with a tractor bucket, I couldn't believe how easy life had become. It you slide a 4 foot long pipe over them and let it fall to the ground, they don't deflect from the bucket pressure. A 5 foot pipe would be ideal. Thread it over them such that the pipe rests on the spade. Once the spade enters the earth, the T post will slide on through. I have been thinking of cutting a piece of pipe to the finished length of exposed post I want. Next time I put them in with a tractor, that is my intention.

I have driven the green ones through limestone by hand here at the house. The driver was just bouncing. I backed up the truck, dropped the tail gate to stand on and broke out the sledge. Some chipped on top because of their high temper. I put a capped pipe on them after that and chips were no longer a problem. It must be locale because the green ones seem to be the tough in these parts.

Hi i am new to the cattle board. I have figured out over the past when i was puting up a in fence around are ranch and we went with the Amercian made green Tpost and i liked them alot we pushed them in with a front in loader and i did not have a bent Tpost. So i really like the green Tpost and i bet u will like them to.

Don't know if this holds true everwhere but at the local TSC store the green t-post with white/silver tips are American made. The green t-post with the tan tips are imports.

I suspect his would hold true for all TSC stores.

Nowland Farms":2jtcik2i said:
Don't know if this holds true everwhere but at the local TSC store the green t-post with white/silver tips are American made. The green t-post with the tan tips are imports.

I suspect his would hold true for all TSC stores.

Silver tops at TSC are the ones I buy. Front tractor bucket pushes them easily until I hit a big piece of gravel or tree root etc. When I started putting the pipe around them before I push them, they started going right through the roots and such. The pipe won't let them deflect. Once they are set, slide the pipe off the top and go to the next one. They are very tough.