Green green grass and Spring.

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
The grass is greening up and Spring has sprung. The birds are happy,the gullies,creeks and rivers are running along nicely. The cattle are starting to put on weight. The calves are growing and will need branding and marking in the next month. Still have a third of the South Devons to calve and all the Brahmans yet. Our Herefords,Black Baldies etc have almost finished.We ended up getting just over15 mls of rain for the week after our 3+inches the week or so before. We usually don't get rain at this time of the year,so what a great start. We are only about a month away from the early storm time then our wetter time from December to April.Could still get a sneaky frost before they are all gone had one last Saturday but did no harm.
Colin.

Answer for Carl
During the summer we run about a beast to about 3 acres safely. most of our country is the same quality,so there is little variation.I used to live about 250 ks north west of where I am now,on that property we run about a beast to 6/8 acres. We don't have sheep on our side of the district but the western side of our shire has fine wool Merinos. We could run them here but we would need crossbreds because of the extra rain that we get.We fatten all of our cattle off grass. Occasionally we might grain feed a few South Devon steers.Our heifers start calving from April 1st and our cows from mid May. So we have late Autumn for heifers and Winter for the cows through into Spring. I have our Brahmans calve from Spring to early Summer.
I just finished tagging some registered calves this morning. Still have about 20 SD cows to calve. Most beautiful day here today about 22c. Will burn some grass later today when it cools down abit. We have an amount of "Love grass which gets quite rank if not kept under control. Burning or cultivating is the way to go with it.
Colin

No we probably won't have a white Christmas. It has been known to snow alittle further south one Christmas day. We've had our heater on about five years ago for the day.
It will most probably be about 32 C here and about 38/40C to our east off the mountain and out west probably about 42/44C on Christmas day.
Colin

Latest posts