Green Grass and Diarrhea

Help Support CattleToday:

Jlsmith80

Reaction score
I am new to this bought three steers feed corn and supplement and hay. Now that grass is growing they are eating it instead of hay they have a little diarrhea and that is very green. I know it is caused by the new green grass. What should I do, is this dangerous they are not bloated or anything last thing I want is for one to die.

As long as they aren't bloated, they should be fine. I like to keep a good high mag mineral out this time of year to help prevent grass tetany. Mine all have green butts right now. If you are concerned, you could keep them up part of the day with hay, so they will mix that in some with the green grass.

1, how young are they
2 are they bottle calves
if they are weened beef calves they will be fine
you can always pen them up for a short time an feed some hay
no they wont die
yes its green grass

It is caused by the high water content in the grass and the fact that the cell walls in the grass have not hardened. That combination makes feed break down easier and move thorough their system faster. It is normal this time of the year.

I never worry about loose pats, in fact, I think it is better, they do not pile up & therefore breakdown quicker.....

What matters is disposition and condition, i.e, if they are doing well or something making them ill.

You do need to watch out though if unknown paddocks, cause there are times when going to green grass can be bad, depends on the grass type and fert used and if preg etc....

Do not get close behind them or you will get dosed. I never worry about any thing like that that is just part of cows. They will be gaining faster on the grass than on the corn and hay.

All good advice...especially regarding making hay available which not incidentally should be of mediocre quality. Personally I wouldn't be cavalier about observation. If its reasonably convenient it'll add immeasurably to your livestock experience & skills.

Do loose minerals protect from bloat? This year I have a lot of legumes and was told to go to a mineral bloat block for a month or so and return to loose.

I've always fed just loose and never had a problem but have much more legumes than past years.

CaddoFarms said:
Do loose minerals protect from bloat? This year I have a lot of legumes and was told to go to a mineral bloat block for a month or so and return to loose.

I've always fed just loose and never had a problem but have much more legumes than past years.
Their are products specifically made to address bloat, and most loose minerals I've seen aren't advertised as such. You can buy sodium bicarbonate and mix in with your mineral if you're worried about bloat, or buy bloat blocks.

BFE said:
CaddoFarms said:

Their are products specifically made to address bloat, and most loose minerals I've seen aren't advertised as such. You can buy sodium bicarbonate and mix in with your mineral if you're worried about bloat, or buy bloat blocks.

Great news thanks for the info. I think I will continue going forward switching to the bloat block just for when the wet green legumes are thick and switch back to the better loose minerals

Latest posts