Green bean nightmare!

Help Support CattleToday:

One of my last years on the coast I had a single row of pole beans about 40 feet long. I harvested nine 5 gallon buckets of beans off that row. I ate fresh beans. I canned beans. I gave a lot of beans away to anyone who wanted them.

I have 3 teepees of Kentucky Wonders and put 15lbs in the freezer so far. No need to blanch them to freeze, they freeze just fine in a freezer bag and suck out most of the air. I love Kentucky Wonders because they are so beany flavored. Put some bacon in the pot and not a bean remains. You can shell the pods that stayed on too long for beans. Roma pole beans have a great flavor too. Both these produce until frost, then the cows eat the vines.

In my part of Kentucky the preferred green bean is the white half-runner. They bring twice the price at the market of any other bean.
They are hard to get to set beans when it is over 90 degrees during the day. Lush vines with many blooms that bear no beans.
We had only a few scraggly messes up until this week. Now the late planted beans are bearing in abundance. My wife sits in the shade of a big red oak each evening breaking beans to can. The one fault of the white half-runner for the table is that it is laborious to string and break up.

I have well over hundred quarts setting around.

edZ5CVJ.jpg

iHcAtgC.jpg

Mne have about petered out. That long run of 90+ days and little rain put the hurt on them. IDK how many we put up and gave away, but decent production, anyway. Picked what was probably the last of them yesterday.
75 ft row of pole beans... planted several varieties this year... Sicitalian Black Swamp, Meyers Striped Hull Greasy, Blue Marbut, Turkey Craw.
Didn't keep up with which was which, so I don't know which was most productive (though Turkey Craw is readily distinguishable from the others)

Joe Robinette Biden Syndrome? You mean I might become demented? Too late.

I cook in stainless steel. That is the canning kettle I use because too many for the bucket. I'm still picking a few and the Kentucky Wonders have put on another crop of flowers.

There was a canning lid shortage again this year so I just freeze them fresh in 1 gallon bags.

Can any of you describe your pole bean growing method, such as how tall, how many poles, how many plants around it? Thanks for any replies.

We were gone for a week and the beans exploded. I picked 5 gallon bucket full last night and I'm canning them now. Looks like 39 pints for today!šŸ˜³
Sorted them and kept the bigger one together and I'll use them for vegetable soup or stew, canned they get pretty soft.
Have you ever made dill beans? They are delicious!
Here's just one recipe.

Can any of you describe your pole bean growing method, such as how tall, how many poles, how many plants around it? Thanks for any replies.
In high school I worked some at a farm that raised lots of pole beans. I use a slightly modified method of what they did. I put a T post and each end of the row and a few in the middle depending on the length of the row. About a post every 15 feet or so. Then I run bale twine on the bottom and top of each post. Wrap it good and take a half hitch on each post. Then I use plain white string tied to start but after that just up to the top back to the bottom so I have string every foot or so. Plants in a straight row makes for easier picking.

In high school I worked some at a farm that raised lots of pole beans. I use a slightly modified method of what they did. I put a T post and each end of the row and a few in the middle depending on the length of the row. About a post every 15 feet or so. Then I run bale twine on the bottom and top of each post. Wrap it good and take a half hitch on each post. Then I use plain white string tied to start but after that just up to the top back to the bottom so I have string every foot or so. Plants in a straight row makes for easier picking.
I guess that would work better than the wood teepees.

I've got a 75 ft piece of bent-up/boogered-up net wire fencing that I lash to t-posts driven about every 15 ft or so., suspended a foot or so above soil level. Could probably do with a taller 'trellis', but this works reasonably well, and at the end of the season, I just cut it loose, roll it up and stick it in the corner 'til next year.

Did a 'Florida Weave' for my tomatoes this year, but tried to cheat and instead of driving a t-post between every second plant, I 'cheated' and stuck in an 8-10 ft stem of river cane (native bamboo). Worked OK until the tomatoes passed 5 ft and started fruiting... the bamboo was not strong enough to stand up to that sort of weight. Next year, it'll be all t-posts.

Latest posts