Green as the grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch

Reaction score
Just joined this board and need as much help/advice as I can get. My wife and I will be moving on to 82 acres of land outside of Corsicana,Texas and I would like to try my hand at raising beef cattle for a profit. I have no idea where to start and hope I can get some good answers here. How many cattle can I run on 70 acres of land/what breed is easiest to raise for profit in this region/what should be planted in the pasture for grazeing/what feed to use in the winter/what cattle should I buy to start(1 bull 2 cows?)etc.etc.etc. Any help would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

ok here's how green I am,what's considered improved pasture, I like Herefords & Black Angus,the land is flat with lots of mesquite trees and some oaks,there is one stock tank.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1iix8mlo said:
Just joined this board...........hope I can get some good answers here.

Welcome to the board! You're in the right place for good answers!

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3vxbwmw8 said:
ok here's how green I am,what's considered improved pasture, I like Herefords & Black Angus,the land is flat with lots of mesquite trees and some oaks,there is one stock tank.

Hard to go wrong with the British Breeds, starting out with angus or herefords I would run the opposite breed bull to get black baldie calves. You can't go wrong with the Baldies. Now how big is the stock tank and is this your only source of water? Improved pasture would be a planted pasture of Bahia, Common Bermuda, or Coastal Bermuda.

Not sure how big the tank is.Going out there in Oct. to see where we will build a home and look at the land. The property has been in my wifes family for many generations and we are going to try to carry on the family tradition. The land has cattle on it now although I do not know how many head.I think the tank is the only water source so it must support the cattle that are there now.

All right Texan,Txag Craig,Tod, La4, Cherokee, and Michelle jump in here and help me get this guy some good advice about starting out in the Blackland Parrie of Texas.

Not being critical it would be a lot easier to advise if you had viewed the property. I am familiar with your area as my son lives not far from you . Which way is the property located towards Palestine, Hillsboro,Dallas, Fairveiw, or Mexia.

You guys are really going to think I'm a dumb s--- before this is over. I have seen the property about 4 years ago but don't remember much about it. I do not know which direction it is from Corsicana but I can tell you the property has a Purdon zip code if that helps. I think it may be off of road 702 ? Dawson is not far away as that is where my father inlaw went to school. I hope you all don't think this is a joke I am very serious about this venture.

ok, without seeing the property or knowing any more, the advice i would give is to find out what kind of grasses are currently on the pasture, whether or not there is any brush, whether or not the pond is the only source of water (this will be important when determining cross-fencing or rotational grazing), condition and amount of fencing and/or cross-fencing, and also, if possible the type and number of cows that are already on the place. the current breeds and numbers may be the best indication of the number you'll be able to run.

just a somewhat uneducated guess, i'd say you'll be able to run 10-20 cows.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":x0ijbuik said:
Can you make money with 10 -20 cows ?

if you're planning to quit work & ranch full-time, i'd say no.

You guys (and ladies) are doing a good job of helping this guy but if he knows an address would looking at an arial view be of any help ?

Maybe I jumped the gun and should have joined this board after I knew more about the land or had better answers for you guys/gals. Sorry, I do not know the address yet. No one has lived on this land for about 40 years,there isn't even a mailbox there anymore. I will revitalize this land and raise some cows though. How much money can I make with only 20 head. The income will not be my lively hood although I will be on the ranch full time.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1mpl8mtn said:
How much money can I make with only 20 head. The income will not be my lively hood although I will be on the ranch full time.

you'd probably be better looking at it as a tax write-off than a money-making venture.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1882lsc4 said:
Maybe I jumped the gun and should have joined this board after I knew more about the land or had better answers for you guys/gals. Sorry, I do not know the address yet. No one has lived on this land for about 40 years,there isn't even a mailbox there anymore. I will revitalize this land and raise some cows though. How much money can I make with only 20 head. The income will not be my lively hood although I will be on the ranch full time.

You can figure on 400 dollars a calf less operating expenses. I have found through the years for every 5 calves sold 3 are are profit and 2 went back into operating cost.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3gjucfo3 said:
How many head do you need to run in Texas,Navarro County to get the Agriculture exemption ?

You need ten or more acres in Texas to claim pasture for ag exemption
raising cattle or sometype of livestock. Five or mor acres in hay field will qualify.

Latest posts