Green as the grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan":1f8ktv1x said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1f8ktv1x said:
Whoa,seems like I been put in my place.
Don't worry about it! Was probably just a joke. :D Lots of that going around!

He has gotten a lot of good advice the best I can give you to save money and problems is go visit large and small operations. Never been to someones that I didn't walk away with a new tip or better way to do something. Don't jump in and say you want Herefords, Simms or whatever do your research every breed brings something to the table. Pick what you like whether its crossbred or registered you will be happier. You will do OK just get ready for some schooling. You have to be a mechinic, welder, machinist,vet,to name a few of your new professions.O yea almost forgot you can wear one of those Big Texas hats.

Campground Cattle":1nd3tx99 said:
......almost forgot you can wear one of those Big Texas hats.
That's right! You don't even have to wait until you get any stock! Don't forget the big belt buckle, too! Really handy when you're bent over cuttin' calves or milking out cows or diggin' four foot postholes and all that other real cowboy stuff.

Actaully that wasn't all that bad of advice. If you can find soeone that will mentor you you'll make a lot more progress quickly. For that matter, get a couple of people that have been doing things in that area and spend as much time as you can (or that they can stand).

dun

I want to thank everyone for the great advice. I have purchased and I am reading Raising Beef Cattle by Heather Smith Thomas and Small-Scale Livestock Farming by Carol Ekarius. Don't know if you are familar with these but they are full of good info. Any other suggestions are welcome. And a special "Thank You" to Campground Cattle for his support. My hats off to all who have helped me.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1x05kfsg said:
I want to thank everyone for the great advice. I have purchased and I am reading Raising Beef Cattle by Heather Smith Thomas and Small-Scale Livestock Farming by Carol Ekarius. Don't know if you are familar with these but they are full of good info. Any other suggestions are welcome. And a special "Thank You" to Campground Cattle for his support. My hats off to all who have helped me.

The Lasater Philosophy of Cattle Raising

If you can find this book it is worth the time to read

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":24gh7w6p said:

Your Welcome if you need anything you have my number.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch

First of all Welcome to the board!
Second I would like to make a suggestion. It has been very helpful to us to have plenty of references on hand. Books Books and more books. Bookmarking websites to ( you can get loads of them from all the knowledgeable people here). It never fails that when u are having a medical crisis there is no one to be found. We also have a subscripion to an online and CD versions of a program called Infovets. The subscription is only $20 a year and you have unlimited access to everything. ( I believe this program is offered for all animals but you have to subscribe to each individual animal. Ie. Beef Cattle, Dairy Cattle, horses, cats , dogs, birds and I think reptiles) We have used this so many times. Not only in crisis for diagnosis but normal vitals, medication information, vaccination information, castration, breeding, etc. but they have an Ask a Vet place to. You can talk to vets and other people. I have found that between this board (which is the best I have ever found) and Infovets I can handle most anything at least til I can get help.
If u would like more info and also who to talk to to order this pm us and we can help. Most everyone around here is subscribed to it now and have yet to hear anything bad about it. Best of luck and wish you the best!
:)