Green as it gets

Help Support CattleToday:

kd4au":1ogexrsh said:
ALACOWMAN":1ogexrsh said:
Aaron9876":1ogexrsh said:
Wow...way to dive in head first...off a cliff...blindfolded...

If the pastures are as bad as you describe why did they have so may head per acre?
overstocking seems to be the norm in North Ala..
ha ha you must be from North Alabama too.
Yep,, north east......

kd4au":3l640yt0 said:
Craig Miller":3l640yt0 said:
ALACOWMAN":3l640yt0 said:
overstocking seems to be the norm in North Ala..

Yes it is. I was told all growing up that a cow/pair to the acre is good. It didn't take me long to figure out that's too many unless you plan to graze down to nothing. I have found that a lot of things I was told growing up weren't exactly true.
Just out of curiosity how many acres per pair do you run and what time of year do you calf?

Me and dad were at a pair per acre. I have sold most of mine off for different reasons and the grass looks great this year. We are probably at a pair to and acre and 3/4.

Craig Miller":3a0phmxd said:
kd4au":3a0phmxd said:
Craig Miller":3a0phmxd said:
Yes it is. I was told all growing up that a cow/pair to the acre is good. It didn't take me long to figure out that's too many unless you plan to graze down to nothing. I have found that a lot of things I was told growing up weren't exactly true.
Just out of curiosity how many acres per pair do you run and what time of year do you calf?

Me and dad were at a pair per acre. I have sold most of mine off for different reasons and the grass looks great this year. We are probably at a pair to and acre and 3/4.
I'm not at full potential,,couple hundred acres, 45 head.. 50 I use for hay and weaned heifers....

ALACOWMAN":llzdkr0a said:
Craig Miller":llzdkr0a said:
kd4au":llzdkr0a said:

I'm not at full potential,,couple hundred acres, 45 head.. 50 I use for hay and weaned heifers....
I'm running about a pair per two acres. In a wet year like this summer I have more than enough grass to graze and make hay. Last year and the first of this year it was a few to many and grass got short. I have both fall and spring(late winter) calving seasons. I guess there is no set per acre rate we can go by, just have to adjust with the rainfall. Thanks for the responses.

Caustic Burno":2i2ent9e said:
Ol' 243":2i2ent9e said:
Caustic Burno":2i2ent9e said:
Looks like the OP was one and done on this one.

Isn't that annoying? Must be out brimmer chasin'.

Probably if he had bought Angus all he would have to do is find the nearest water hole. :lol:
You two sackdraggin cotton pickers crack me up!

Rafter S":2mlc9jxa said:
HDRider":2mlc9jxa said:

I like these for mineral... Cows like them too...

Thank you for posting that. I have some of those too, but clean forgot to mention it this morning.

Where do you guys get those? I'm looking for something better than a chopped up 55 gal plastic barrel and I like the way those are designed.

BigBear":74assiwb said:
HDRider":74assiwb said:
BB,
I see them at different places that sell cattle panels and stuff like that. I see them at feed stores. Some cost more than others. Some are better than others. I think Tractor Supply has them.

Looks like Amazon sells them...
https://www.amazon.com/Behlen-Country-2 ... for+cattle

Thanks HD!
Some like that style come with a container on top to pour fly stuff (permethrin eg) in, then it wicks to a pad on the underside of the lid. (SO when the cows bump the lid up with their heads, the treatment gets on them and decreases face flies). It ups the price and they break off or stop working quickly so don't bother upgrading to that style.