GREAT PLAINS NTS2609

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these seeders? Planning on seeding bermuda, bahia, rye grass, and summer annuals in sandy loam soil.

Last edited:
Bought a used NTS 2511 a few weeks back. It looks nice and like it'll work but haven't tried it yet. We bought a Land Pride, it's same as Great Plains.

Bought a used NTS 2511 a few weeks back. It looks nice and like it'll work but haven't tried it yet. We bought a Land Pride, it's same as Great Plains.
That looks to be what i need as well, let me know how you like it when you use it please.

Yes sir heck of a good problem, been getting $6,000 a year for vaccinating my steers which i would have been doing anyway. I'm not too proud to take a handout!
That's a good deal. I wonder how many take advantage of that? It seems like the per head cost creeps up a few bucks each year. Meds , cowboy fees, ear tags, and now soon to be EID tags. Everything keeps creeping up. Calf prices are good now so it doesn't hurt so bad but they'll be back in the buck fifty range before you know it. We've been pricing cattle working equipment lately it's hard to believe what things are costing.

That's a good deal. I wonder how many take advantage of that? It seems like the per head cost creeps up a few bucks each year. Meds , cowboy fees, ear tags, and now soon to be EID tags. Everything keeps creeping up. Calf prices are good now so it doesn't hurt so bad but they'll be back in the buck fifty range before you know it. We've been pricing cattle working equipment lately it's hard to believe what things are costing.
A lot of people use the Program. To get the highest refund, you have to take a Master Beef class and become certified. They publish a list of what they will pay for and then they take applications. It covers a lot of different areas and things. The program was/is funded by the Tobacco Settlement money from several years ago.

I wonder just how long this TS money will last, How much has TN used so far, and how much is in reserve for future payouts?
I think TN actually adds some extra money to the program. Its way better than how its done in VA. Most of the tobacco commission money goes to non farming things here. Like the Barter Theater.

A lot of people use the Program. To get the highest refund, you have to take a Master Beef class and become certified. They publish a list of what they will pay for and then they take applications. It covers a lot of different areas and things. The program was/is funded by the Tobacco Settlement money from several years ago.
I would encourage everyone to get the Master Beef classes even if you have no intent to apply for cost share.

I am going to look at a Great Plains 3P606NT this morning. Used but like new. New it is about 24K. They are asking $17,500.

I have that exact same drill. Bought it new for $8600 in I think 2003. It has got a ton of acres on it. I have used it for hire as part of my business every spring and fall. It has been a good investment and has held up well. Plants grass better the more wore out it gets. Only put a set of coulters, brackets and some bushings on it. Check the brackets that mount the arms to the frame. They have a tendency to bend/crack over time.

The machine is like new. Paint isn't even worn anywhere on it. It is at an Oregon State experiment station. The only down side is it has an add on for planting test plots etc. That adds 1,500-2,000 pounds of iron to the machine. Some guy told the store owner that that stuff is worth $10,000. Store owner asked him why not buy the machine, take that stuff off and sell it. The guy told him he was too short on cash. It isn't going to go anywhere soon. I am going to do some research. Can I sell that thing? How much would it cost to have it removed? How much for a new 3 point attachment as how it sits the 3 point attaches to this add on. If it were a stock drill in this condition for this price I would be buying it.

I see that a Land Pride is the exact same machine with the same model number. Just different color paint. There is a dealer half a mile up the road from the Great Plains I looked at today. I am going to call tomorrow and get a price to compare.

I have that exact same drill. Bought it new for $8600 in I think 2003. It has got a ton of acres on it. I have used it for hire as part of my business every spring and fall. It has been a good investment and has held up well. Plants grass better the more wore out it gets. Only put a set of coulters, brackets and some bushings on it. Check the brackets that mount the arms to the frame. They have a tendency to bend/crack over time.
Most grass just barely needs covered, so it makes sense that it does better with more wear. Most people have the tendency to get it too deep.

I would think real hard about buying a 3 point drill. I would much rather have a pull behind. You really need a lot of weight for those to work correct.
Empty it weighs 2,300+ pounds and is only 6 feet wide. I will not be doing long runs but lots of little patches where the 3 point will come in handy for lifting and turning.

as I was haying I was thinking about seeding. I think if you could get a nice straight disc disc around 12', have a 3 pt. spinner, and hook a 12' cultipacker behind the disc, that would be a 1 pass perfect seed bed. It would work if you mowed it close or it was pretty thin. In thick plots you'd have to spray but you'd need to do the same with a drill to get good results. that'd be a pretty cheap setup.

as I was haying I was thinking about seeding. I think if you could get a nice straight disc disc around 12', have a 3 pt. spinner, and hook a 12' cultipacker behind the disc, that would be a 1 pass perfect seed bed. It would work if you mowed it close or it was pretty thin. In thick plots you'd have to spray but you'd need to do the same with a drill to get good results. that'd be a pretty cheap setup.
I basically did that this year. Not in one pass but light disk, broadcast seed and packed it. Not what I would call successful. Spotty results at best. Not the first time I tried it. This is why I am looking at a small no till.

Latest posts