Great old lady

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
No, I am not talking about ME!! LOL
Here is a 13 year old cow - 811U.

We sold a bred yearling grand daughter of 811U in the Stars & Stripes Sale to Bill Sloup, Sloup Simmentals, NE. Bill was so pleased with his purchase, he contacted me and has now purchased two daughters and another grand daughter out of the cow - along with a fall heifer calf and and a January heifer calf, unrelated - all reds.
We tried to flush this cow last summer conventional. Got some embryos but they were dead. So, we are trying IVF reverse sort flush this coming Tuesday. Getting her shots now. Hopefully, we can get a lot more genetics out of her. I only have 1 other daughter of hers in the herd - a 10 year old.

Will you be offering embryos private treaty if she flushed well?

Great looking cow!! They don't come much better than that.

Will you be offering embryos private treaty if she flushed well?

Great looking cow!! They don't come much better than that.
Thanks. I have to admit, I love looking at her and her picture. We got a good video of her also - showing off her great structure.
That's a possibility - but not until I have gotten enough for ME. I chose a bull that is readily available and I really like his calves, but he isn't super high priced (Felt Last Call) - in case she doesn't produce. If she does, I plan to flush again with a bull I can't get any more (for now) and I have 2 units - KBHR Sniper.
All speculation until she gives us some #1 embryos. I don't have any recips for any #2, so they will be lost.

This cow is sooo lay back, she can be a PITA to move. You know.....one step at a time.
We had to load her this morning, heading to flush her.
Backed up trailer, got her out of the barn. She stopped dead. Stared at the back of the trailer.
I thought, oh no. How will we MAKE her load.
She took a step, never stopped, just did her slow walk right up into the trailer, never hesitated.
Thank goodness!!
On our way to Trans Ova.

@WFfarm yes, reds are the hottest thing in the Simmental breed right now. Especially, with white face markings. So, what do I put in our top sale - red, white face females!!!
Back from the flush. They got 21 oocytes. Won't know how many embryos they get until next Wednesday.

I like cows that get old and do well, my old Rosie was one, she had 16 calves and pretty much my whole herd is from her or her sister soon, she never needed hoof trimming either
I think she was around 13 here.. At the time I never kept bulls of my own, I'm kinda regretting that, she had 11 heifers though so I had a few of them as replacements, one of them is my boss cow
n562681789_384561_8538.jpg

Hope you get good embryos from your flush

No, I am not talking about ME!! LOL
Here is a 13 year old cow - 811U.

We sold a bred yearling grand daughter of 811U in the Stars & Stripes Sale to Bill Sloup, Sloup Simmentals, NE. Bill was so pleased with his purchase, he contacted me and has now purchased two daughters and another grand daughter out of the cow - along with a fall heifer calf and and a January heifer calf, unrelated - all reds.
We tried to flush this cow last summer conventional. Got some embryos but they were dead. So, we are trying IVF reverse sort flush this coming Tuesday. Getting her shots now. Hopefully, we can get a lot more genetics out of her. I only have 1 other daughter of hers in the herd - a 10 year old.
Always loved looking at your cows, most of them earned their keep. I've always hated looking at 1600 to 2000 cows that only weaned 650 lb calves.

Just worked our "spring" calves (Jan/Feb) on the 19th. The heifers averaged 3.23# WPDA at 142 days old, and the males were 3.48# WPDA at 132 days old. I was happy with those weights. We will be weighing again in about 4 weeks when we give booster shots. I "hope" for 100#/months of age. They are right on target.
I do have a cow or two that might go 1900# - LOL. I think this lady is about 1850# but she is a frame 5.5. Herd average is about 1675# - mostly 5 - 6 FS.
My cows earn their keep and make me a profit raising a steer.

Last edited:

Latest posts