Great hay from last year or okay hay from this year?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I found a guy who is selling some hay from this years cutting, some of the best hay I have seen as cattle grade/priced hay. He is selling it for about $60 a ton. I have bought enough to get me throw the rest of winter and a little extra.

This stuff beats the heck out of anything I have got before and he still has about 100 tons left. I'm thinking of stuffing my barns for next year. Will it lose much nutrients over the year in storage? or would it be better to find other hay from a current cutting. He told me he usally sells to horse people but didn't think this hay meet that grade, his horse hay he sells for $120 a ton, same hay as I pickup at half the price.

Thanks,
Alan

Research that I've seen over the past years show that properly stored hay (out of the weather etc.) loses maybe a few .10%/year (in other words 12% hay stored this year in 5 years would be 10-11%). Go for it!! Ship some my way :lol:

Thanks, how is properly stored? dry, not damp is obvious, but does it have to be out of sunlight or will sun bleach do nothing to it?

Thanks again,
Alan

If I understood your first post, you will be storing in your barn, so if your barn is not completely enclosed then just the outside bales would get sun. I do believe that the sun will take away some nutruients, but it is my understanding that it's the moisture you want to stay clear of. Also, try to stack the hay as tightly as you can to keep the wind from blowing through. Make sure the hay is dry when you stack, if any of the bales are wet you have the chance of spontaneous combustion (speaking from experience) :oops: make sure your hay and your barn is insured if you are buying large quantities.

One barn is very dry and should do alright it has a couple of windows so the sun light will come through but it very tight and dry. My main barn is dry but some of he dry days the barn doors are left open so I'll get sun light there also. I'll probably get about 20 ton and not worry about haying season. :D :D :D

Alan

Your barns should store the hay just fine and very little food value will be lost. If you feel the hay is priced good for your area, I would buy as much as you feel you can afford for the future. Sounds like you really like the quality, and it will stay good.

Latest posts