Great day for an implant!

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
Sunday we put in 24 embryo's. Had 26 available recips, two were rejected upon palpation. We set up 31 cows as possible recips. One has developed a very lame hind foot and we chose not to use her. Another lost her CIDR. 3 did not come into heat at the right time. (Two of these are very nervous cattle and due to ship after they raise thier calf. the other came in 12 hrs too late)
I was a little disappointed in the 5 that didn't come into heat but I was very pleased using 24/26. The vet is very particular and doesn't take a chance on marginal CL's.
This makes 59 embryo's implanted in the last two years. By my calculations I should have 100 register cows/heifers on my farm by 2014! That is 4 years ahead of my plan.
I am a vey lucky man to have such great help from all those involved in this endeavor. Especially my wife and kids and from a very generous friend.

That is exciting. Nice time for calves to come in the fall also. What are the matings? Did you put the eggs in on the farm? Frozen eggs?

In addition to the other questions, what part of missouri are you in? I am wanting to flush a cow or two, but want to find the best to do it.

we had 5 Ext embryo's and the rest are Traveler 5204. All were frozen embryos collected about 8 years ago.
We put them in on our farm in the cold! I set up a tarp to block the wind and had a shop heater blowing all day. This kept it tollerable but when the horizon split the sun it turned really cold!

We injected 2ml of Estridiol (sp?) and CIDR, 7days pulled the CIDR and injected 2 ml of Estramate.

I have herd reports on the effect of the moon and signs on embryo work. The guy has done no scientific study but declares that he has had better success with recips when the signs are right.

Anybody noticed anything similar to this.

It seems a little hocus pocus but then again. I have noticed that it seems full moon affects how kids behave and DHR claims to have more calls during full moons.

Not sure about cows but I worked at a nursing home for five years and tell you what, hocus pocus or not those Alzheimer's people went NUTS!! Tons of fun. Be interesting to see if cows are more fertile during those times.