Great American Desert Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I took the camera out with me when I did chores...This is what the Great American Desert looks like when we actually get rain...This is after 2.6 inches yesterday and last night and 5 inches in about a week- and its still raining...Last year we got 10 inches total for the whole year.....

3inchesrain033.jpg

Poor Jessy -Looks like a drowned rat...

3inchesrain034.jpg

This is the yard this morning...

3inchesrain035.jpg

3inchesrain036.jpg

Looking south across the hay meadows toward the Creek (which I heard is bank full-- with a wall of water coming from above)...This is the route I have to drive to get another bale into the bulls)...

3inchesrain037.jpg

But this is what it can produce--By the driveway into the house-- Usually mow this for a picnic area- but may have to picket the horses on it...

3inchesrain038.jpg

The corrals are a lake...

3inchesrain039.jpg

This is my catch pen/saddling pen... Feedpans were all under water this morning....

Than's for the pics. Seeing all that water made me smile. Our weather men have been giving us good chances for rain all week, but so far not a drop. This morning they promised that tonight it will rain. We're not in bad shape. All the stock tanks are full and we have more grass than cows, but I am worried about subsoil moisture. So bring it on. :lol:

This much rain around here is almost unheard of....
In fact Grandma and I were just talking and it reminded me that the last time we got this much rain in such a short period (3+" in 24 hours and over 5" in the last week here-- some areas have got up to 7") was in Oct. 1986- remembered as the year of 2 floods-- and the creeks rose the Milk River so high our county road was flooded under-- and since she was due with daughter #3, I made her stay in town for several days....River dropped enough the night before she had her, that I drove thru the water and brought her home (to haul her back thru the water to the Hospital the next AM :roll: ).....

Creeks are really flooding- over some roads I guess, but they think the Milk is low enough it won't flood.....

Latest posts