Greasing/servicing a Dodge

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
A 3500 ram, 6.4 gas burner. I changed the oil and filter 0-40 full synthetic "OUCH" it's expensive. Manual shows two things to grease. The U joints for the 4wd. They are those crazy sealed deals. You have to pierce the cover with a special grease fitting. Is it necessary to grease those?

on the front driveshaft of in the knuckles?

Ive never greased the sealed ones, though I did JUST buy a needle adapter for $8 so I can do it on the sealed tie rods on the farm equipment.

Nesikep":2fnmfokd said:
on the front driveshaft of in the knuckles?

Ive never greased the sealed ones, though I did JUST buy a needle adapter for $8 so I can do it on the sealed tie rods on the farm equipment.

Yes, front drive shaft knuckles. Seems counter productive to pierce the cover. Then dirt debris will get in.

the needle is like a 16ga, it's a darned small hole.. I do kinda wonder about the benefit of it though, you need the grease at the end of the cup, not by the seal.. I really doubt it would do anything

Nesikep":13yp9wke said:
the needle is like a 16ga, it's a darned small hole.. I do kinda wonder about the benefit of it though, you need the grease at the end of the cup, not by the seal.. I really doubt it would do anything

Maintenance schedule calls for it every 8000 miles. I'm leery doing it.

Nesi: The grease helps keep the seal lubricated and pliable. Those joints usually fail because the seals dry out and crack, allowing water and dirt in to the bearing area, but it's the centering thingie you are trying to lubricate. Tho some trucks seem to have the decal and instructions but no little button where you are supposed to use the needle point. You shouldn't have to poke a hole in anything other than where the little button thing is. Up to you whether to do it or not tho.
Read this,,all pages--has some good pictures on pg 2 and pg 3:
https://www.turbodieselregister.com/thr ... oint/page3

Yeah, my centering ball has no lube point on it..
I don't drive much so I do a lube job twice a year on my truck which turns out to be about every 4000 miles.. before and after winter

Drive it Le Brea and just push it on. That way it will get lubed thoroughly and permanently

Latest posts