Grazonnext

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
We've been told that P+D won't be available next year. They're replacing it with Grazonnext. Has anyone use the Grazonnext? Do you think it's as effective as the P+D? Thanks....

It's new, supposed to be improved (so it can stay on patent) so it has got to be better and probably cost more too. :lol:

Haven't used P+D cause I want my clovers to come up (when and if we ever get any rain) in the fall. As for controling late germinating weeds, our hot dry summers usually take care of that.

1982vett":1nxu5n01 said:
It's new, supposed to be improved (so it can stay on patent) so it has got to be better and probably cost more too. :lol:

Haven't used P+D cause I want my clovers to come up (when and if we ever get any rain) in the fall. As for controling late germinating weeds, our hot dry summers usually take care of that.
I wonder if it will be like the new formulation of Remedy so it won;t be restricted

1982vett":39d28cp6 said:
If it has 2, 4-d in it it will be restricted here.
Here it's the Picloram that makes it restricted. 2,4-d is easy to buy anywhere for anyone

Frankie":lm0imvpu said:
We've been told that P+D won't be available next year. They're replacing it with Grazonnext. Has anyone use the Grazonnext? Do you think it's as effective as the P+D? Thanks....

I've heard that Grazonnext is as good as P+D, but this was coming from a man that works for the feed store, so take it with a grain of salt.

Strange, 24D is the touchy one here. About five years ago a local cotton farmer had his whole crop wiped out by someone doing some "weekend" spraying when the wind was blowing. Personally, I call the county/parish agent - he knows what crops are being grown where and can give you a good idea of any potential risks to row crops.

cypressfarms":2t6bywnr said:
Frankie":2t6bywnr said:

I've heard that Grazonnext is as good as P+D, but this was coming from a man that works for the feed store, so take it with a grain of salt.

Strange, 24D is the touchy one here. About five years ago a local cotton farmer had his whole crop wiped out by someone doing some "weekend" spraying when the wind was blowing. Personally, I call the county/parish agent - he knows what crops are being grown where and can give you a good idea of any potential risks to row crops.

I understand it's pretty closely controlled around cotton, maybe other crops also. Seems like a friend of mine in IL couldn;t get the stuff. In this area about the only real "crop" any one raises is MJ

1982vett":382rf4yf said:

I have Arrowleaf clover that dies out when temps get over 90. After its died back then I can spray for the summer weeds such as ragweed, sneezeweed, pricklypear, and a few others. However, in both counties where I run operations we have to get special permits to spray between April and September because of numerous area corn plantings

Its no secret the powers that be do not like Picloram due to its persistance. Grazonext has omitted this chemical and replaced it with Milestone. Basically Grazonext has 33% more 2,4-D in it than Grazon did and in place of the 1/2 lb of Picloram it has .33/lb of Milestone in it. Cost of chemical with the change should only go up a $1.00/acre.

Anyone ever used Milestone? At $300/gal it seems it ought to work good on something.

dcara":rvj9jqzj said:
I have Arrowleaf clover that dies out when temps get over 90. After its died back then I can spray for the summer weeds such as ragweed, sneezeweed, pricklypear, and a few others. However, in both counties where I run operations we have to get special permits to spray between April and September because of numerous area corn plantings
Are you sure it is because of the corn?

dcara":120f052d said:
1982vett":120f052d said:

Corn?? I've sprayed grazon right down the throat of corn plants about a foot tall and it didn't even make it turn yellow, let alone kill it.

1982vett":1yi5ttvs said:
dcara":1yi5ttvs said:
Are you sure it is because of the corn?

Woops. I meant cotton. Though the corn acerage around here has been increasing the past couple years.

JO: I've used a lot of Milestone. Super safe chemical that doesn't leach. Very expensive in Canada $1200 for 10 liters(2.58 US gal) I guess that would work out to about $400 US dollars/US gallon?
You would sure want to use it right away once you mix. It pretty well breaks down in water in about 4 hours. In the pure form(actual Milestone) it is very slow acting, about as slow as Lontrel. Has decent residual (3 years).
In Canada there is a product called Restore that is a combination of cloropyralid(Milestone) and 24D which sounds very similar to the product Grazeonnext. All are Dow-Elanco products.

Alberta farmer":kbv9jwoo said:
JO: I've used a lot of Milestone. Super safe chemical that doesn't leach. Very expensive in Canada $1200 for 10 liters(2.58 US gal) I guess that would work out to about $400 US dollars/US gallon?
You would sure want to use it right away once you mix. It pretty well breaks down in water in about 4 hours. In the pure form(actual Milestone) it is very slow acting, about as slow as Lontrel. Has decent residual (3 years).
In Canada there is a product called Restore that is a combination of cloropyralid(Milestone) and 24D which sounds very similar to the product Grazeonnext. All are Dow-Elanco products.

I read where it was safe with no grazing restrictions other than suggeting that you park the cows in a non sprayed field for 3 days before putting them in land that may be used for crops such as peanuts. Like grazon, this could leave some blemishes in the peanuts.

Jogeephus":2g6tyban said:
Like grazon, this could leave some blemishes in the peanuts.
Why would you be spraying it in the kitchen on the cans/jars of peanuts?

dun":1n5ceogs said:
Jogeephus":1n5ceogs said:
Like grazon, this could leave some blemishes in the peanuts.
Why would you be spraying it in the kitchen on the cans/jars of peanuts?

I do it just to pi$$ my wife off. :lol2: Besides, the label doesn't say not to. ;-) :lol2:

Latest posts