Grazon

Help Support CattleToday:

I usually let the cows eat the trees. Grandpa used to cut trees during summer dry spells to feed sheep while clearing land.

I have also tried spot spraying some small trees with straight 24-D or Round Up in the summer. It would kill the branches you hit but not neccessarily the entire tree. Fall may be the best time to try it.

no, we let them grow to harvest. (its too wet for anything else anyway, except maybe a pond)

Stocker Steve":1rm15jz4 said:
I usually let the cows eat the trees. Grandpa used to cut trees during summer dry spells to feed sheep while clearing land.

I have also tried spot spraying some small trees with straight 24-D or Round Up in the summer. It would kill the branches you hit but not neccessarily the entire tree. Fall may be the best time to try it.

These are pretty big trees ..need some real big cows. ;-)

If i can kill the trees , the light should be able to get to ground to get the grass growing.

Beefy":13s0wpg6 said:
how proficient is Ollie with a chainsaw?

I heard he,s real good at sawing logs ;-)

The question is does he start in cold weather or does he stall :?:

you might have to choke him to get him started but i hear hes easy to gas up.

frenchie":2u2ehfvm said:
Anyone here ever aerial spray poplar trees with this stuff.
I don't think it would kill them frenchie. Remedy would be a better choice I think????

ollie'":36lwkdfs said:
frenchie":36lwkdfs said:
Anyone here ever aerial spray poplar trees with this stuff.
I don't think it would kill them frenchie. Remedy would be a better choice I think????

Well I will have check that out.Thats a dow chemical?

Hey frenchie just my opinion but that avatar of yours needs to be changed. :lol: :lol: :lol: When ever I see it and read your posts I have a mental picture of you looking like that. :shock: :eek: :shock:

:p JUST FUNNIN' YA. :p

J":7flwlfu1 said:
Hey frenchie just my opinion but that avatar of yours needs to be changed. :lol: :lol: :lol: When ever I see it and read your posts I have a mental picture of you looking like that. :shock: :eek: :shock:

:p JUST FUNNIN' YA. :p

Hey now...my wife took that photo of me after my yearly shave :lol:

and everyone wonders why I hide that face behind a beard and under a cowboy hat.;-)

Depends on how many you have, this method wouldn't work on a forest, but I took out a line last fall by drilling 1/2" holes about 6" deep in the trunk, maybe 10 per tree. These trees were about 3-4' in diameter. Filled the holes up once with a mix of about 50% Roundup, 25% 2, 4-D and 25% water. Came back few days later and filled the holes again. This spring nary a sign of life. Worked great and cheap, just a little time consuming. Poplars can be tough, cutting them down with a chainsaw just p*sses them off, the next year you will have 30 little trees instead of one big one.

you could flood them. or depending on how thick they are you could limb them high enough to allow sunlight in.

NorCalFarms":nez86v4d said:
Depends on how many you have, this method wouldn't work on a forest, but I took out a line last fall by drilling 1/2" holes about 6" deep in the trunk, maybe 10 per tree. These trees were about 3-4' in diameter. Filled the holes up once with a mix of about 50% Roundup, 25% 2, 4-D and 25% water. Came back few days later and filled the holes again. This spring nary a sign of life. Worked great and cheap, just a little time consuming. Poplars can be tough, cutting them down with a chainsaw just p*sses them off, the next year you will have 30 little trees instead of one big one.

i thought i was the only one that said "nary"