Grazing?

Help Support CattleToday:

T-Bone

Reaction score
If I still have grass on the pasture how can you tell it's time to pull out the bales and stop grazing? If I have enough room in the corral should I keep my heifers pined up or let them lose? Thanks for the input!

T-Bone":hy1iiqgj said:
If I still have grass on the pasture how can you tell it's time to pull out the bales and stop grazing? If I have enough room in the corral should I keep my heifers pined up or let them lose? Thanks for the input!
this time of year if it just native grass thats dormant i would supplement hay with grazing.healthy cattle need to be on pasture unless theres a reason not too i wouldnt stop grazing unless there eating enough to damage a stand.

I think that if throughout your pasture you can look down and see dirt, then you need to stop grazing.

In my humble opinion, since you are in Victoria, you may want to start haying. The drought is going to get real bad for you real soon. Like "J" said, if you can see dirt...

No dirt, grass looks good just didnt know if the nutritional vale of the grass was gone. This is my first year. I see cattle still grazing all around me...

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":toxmbmjr said:
Is the grass green? I have fed very little hay this year as my pasture is still green and lush. In fact when I have fed hay this year the cows looked at me like what the heck are you feeding us hay for cant you see we are full and just walked away. I feed about a bail every 2 weeks now. They just dont want any hay cuz the grass is still green. Id say around february is when i will have to start feeding them lots of hay.

Ain't been to Texas lately have ya? Where I'm at there ain't nothing green in sight. Even some cedars are turning.

Yeah last year we had record rainfall for the year and all was good but right now its dry and the treat of grass fires is real. Been watching for rain but don't see any in sight.

Sounds like you are having good luck with your grass. :mrgreen:

T-Bone":jfo4imbv said:
No dirt, grass looks good just didnt know if the nutritional vale of the grass was gone. This is my first year. I see cattle still grazing all around me...
they will graze. and alot of the protien content is gone this time of year if your hay was fertilized & put up right it will be better than most grasses this time of year also. how you manage your pasture grazing pressure now will have a impact on spring greenup.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2ry7c9el said:
Is the grass green? I have fed very little hay this year as my pasture is still green and lush. In fact when I have fed hay this year the cows looked at me like what the heck are you feeding us hay for cant you see we are full and just walked away. I feed about a bail every 2 weeks now. They just dont want any hay cuz the grass is still green. Id say around february is when i will have to start feeding them lots of hay.

God must really like Tennessee! Wonder what we did wrong in Texas?

If it were me I would unroll a bale of hay and let them keep grazeing it will prolong your grazeing period.I started feeding 2 bales a day for a month on a 150 cows now that they have grazed off the fall pasture I am feeding 4 bales a day plus corn silage.Also I would leave those heifers out grazeing they will stay alot more healthy out in the open.And you wont have to clean manure out of your pen's.We feed on our corn ground that way the manure is where I need it.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":mbnya17n said:

TTCLM,

How many round bales of hay do you have???? ;-)

CJ

that is bizarre since pastures here have been brown for a month or two.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":27lcnhfu said:
Id say around february is when i will have to start feeding them lots of hay.

That's weird. February is when we normally stop haying for the year. To start in Feb seems kind of late.

When do you stop haying???

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2gw6q3iz said:
Man. I'd love to know where in TN. you're at. Your Cattle must be in a pasture with a dome over them.All of us around here have been feeding hay for months now.Even in a normal rainfall year, we feed hay starting in the middle of November.There's fellers all around searching for good round bales.You sure you really have any cattle?

Crowderfarms":3cguqv00 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3cguqv00 said:
Man. I'd love to know where in TN. you're at. Your Cattle must be in a pasture with a dome over them.All of us around here have been feeding hay for months now.Even in a normal rainfall year, we feed hay starting in the middle of November.There's fellers all around searching for good round bales.You sure you really have any cattle?

Crowder been watching this one something about this dog don't hunt.

T-Bone

IMO If you still have grass with grazeable leaf material ( not just stems) I would continue grazing with some protein supplement (38% range cubes, lick tubs, etc) until the cows have consumed most of the leafy portion of grass. Dried frosted leaves still have some feed value but will need protein supplement. If cows body condition starts to decline some additional energy could be needed.

I would not start feeding hay until the grass leaves are consumed for a couple of reasons:

1. If you are not currently participating in the drought to the north of you, there is a good chance it will be coming to a pasture near you in the not to distant future. Save your hay for as long as possible for a droughty day.

2. Cows are basically like children. If we do all their work for them and feed them every time they whimper, they will never learn to feed themselves. They will fill their belly at the hay bale and spend their idle time walking, pooping & peeing on the grass they should be nourishing themselves with.

Make your cows clean their plate & eat their veggies, before seconds or dessert.

While in no way do I advocate starving cattle. I have never been of the opinion that a brood cow must always have their belly full. If they have the right nutrients, their nutritional needs can often be adequately provided with something less than a full belly.

My operation works best & is most profitable when we maximize the cows working for us and minimize ourselves working for the cows.

Just my 2 cents worth. Please pray for rain for those who need it and sunshine for those who are swamped.

Regards

Brock

Excellent post, Brock. Make them do the harvesting as long as there is something to get. Much cheaper to supplement protein than to put them on welfare.

Texas PaPaw":1aem4dia said:
T-Bone

2. Cows are basically like children. If we do all their work for them and feed them every time they whimper, they will never learn to feed themselves. They will fill their belly at the hay bale and spend their idle time walking, pooping & peeing on the grass they should be nourishing themselves with.

Make your cows clean their plate & eat their veggies, before seconds or dessert.

My operation works best & is most profitable when we maximize the cows working for us and minimize ourselves working for the cows.

Brock

Some of the best advice you can get.

Caustic Burno":2omfcx50 said:
Crowderfarms":2omfcx50 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2omfcx50 said:

Crowder been watching this one something about this dog don't hunt.

I'll 2nd that.