Grazing wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
Planted some late wheat last fall on a few acres, it was dry as a bone until winter and hardly anything came up, the local farmers planted earlier and although it did better it still looked way behind. Have a nice but short green stand now that spring is here.

When do I graze this? This field will have crabgrass, and I do not want to interfere with that at all as that was my main forage during the summer last year.

Let it head out?, put them on it sooner?

Any soil disturbance that the cattle may do now will only help your crabgrass germination.

I turned in on mine maybe 2 weeks ago. I like you, encourage the crabgrass. I don't want to shade it. I pulled them off Friday, and it's made a big jump just since then.

Went for a walk with the wife this evening, down the road I would say their drilled wheat looked 9" tall. My broadcast (& put in 2 weeks later) is only 6". I will let them in this weekend I guess, I still don't have good grass recovery even in my untouched since last fall fields, may have to put out 2 more bales of hay. We were really in a drought last fall and the grass suffered.

Been grazing wheat since the first of January. One field I have turned anything out on is at least 24"-30" tall, I haven't decided if I'm gonna graze it or bale it yet. Wish it would have all grown like that.

Latest posts