Grazing Wheat and Cover Crops

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
Although I'm a "rancher" by definition because I have a hat, spurs, and ride a pony to gather cattle, I still do a fair amount of tractor driving and land management. Around here, we are really making progress on taking weed infested and grassless land and turning it around into a solid, dry weather tough, grass mix. However, small grains like wheat, oats, and rye all thrive here as well. So my question is, how do you use these crops? Do you graze them, simply plant into their stubble, use them as a nurse crop, or maybe a cover crop? I thought about using wheat to help shelter our tender grass mix that I planted beginning of September. Would letting the wheat grow out provide a good protection for the grass in its first year, or would it choke it out? Just trying to think of some new ideas, and I would love to hear what works for you. Of course, I can just get the drill in gear and test it myself. :lol2:

I had a problem with just letting a newly planted bahia stand just sit there idle so I planted a nurse crop of millet when I planted the seed. As a control, I planted another field without the millet just to see if I hurt myself in doing this. The next spring there was some difference but not much. The coverage in the idle field was better but not much. In two months time there was no difference. In all, I think the beneifits of planting a cover crop over the permament pasture paid off in my situation and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

1st let me say this wheat grows good on unless wore out land.where you are your best bet would be to like notill drill it in.an then bale it for hay in may.dont know how much grazing you could do where you are.an yes it makes great hay.

blackcowz":2ujlzkx2 said:
Although I'm a "rancher" by definition because I have a hat, spurs, and ride a pony to gather cattle, ...

Not even going there. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

However, small grains like wheat, oats, and rye all thrive here as well. So my question is, how do you use these crops? Do you graze them, simply plant into their stubble, use them as a nurse crop, or maybe a cover crop?

We've done all of the above - planted winter wheat, grazed it that fall, harvested it the following summer, then planted alfalfa in the stubble. We've also used oats as a cover crop for grass, harvested the oats, and watched the grass grow. We don't use rye for anything, because it is just to prolific, and is very difficult to get rid of.