Grazing the sorghum Sudan

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks CMF! I got your reply the day you sent it (accessed on my phone) but wasn't able to get a thank you reply in until today. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Cows are still on the field, but getting close to having current SG field cleaned up. I do not plan to make them strip it clean, but want it to be mostly stems with a few leaves left. I do not want them to stay in there long enough to where they are forced to graze stalks. From what I've read, that is where a lot of the nitrates are stored. We still have not had a rain. Crop surprisingly still hasn't shown any signs of stress. (i.e. no leaf curl, wilting, etc.) The next stand of SG is about 60% headed out so I will probably just roll them into that field next, even with a "drought ending rain". I doubt that this late in the season, the regrowth will be substantial, and with the amount of leaves on the plants, any "hot" regrowth should be countered by a significant amount of mature leaf material to dilute any nitrates that may be there....Or atleast, that is what I am telling myself.

Done it plenty of times. Once the plants start getting low , get them off. The acid is low in the plant.

Latest posts