grazing standing corn

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
does anyone graze standing corn if so how many acres would it take to get through the winter with 10 cows.

1) Yes
2) It depends:
how much dry matter per acre (you can cut a measured row distance and weigh it to get an estimate)
how well do they clean it up (without daily moves they will tend to eat the ears and the leaves only)
how long is the winter
how much other feed do they have (I would feed hay and just give them a small break of corn stocks to supplement)

Wouldn't you be concerned that it would be considered grain fed beef?

only will be grain fed if the ears actually develop
i think, who knows with these grass fed rules, i don't even think they know.

Oh, they know, No grain or starch containing feed can be fed. Corn can be grazed before the ear developes or at least grain on the ear.

Somewhere along the line it seems to be forgotten that corn is a grass. If grazed as standing corn I wouldn't think it would matter to the grass-fed people.

that does not matter just trying to cut down on hay does not matter bout grass fed or not

IN REF. GROWING CORN, HERE IN SW FLA, LAST YEAR I PLANTED 4 X 4 X 2 FOOT PLANTERS WITH CORN THE FIRST OF THE YEAR. HAD 4 PLANTERS CLOSE TO THE FENCE. IN SIX WEEKS MY 4 Y.O. GRANDSON AND I PULLED IT UP ONE PLANTER PER FEEDING, AND THREW IT ACROSS THE FENCE TO THE COWS, ONLY ABOUT A DOZEN HERE AT THE HOUSE. HE CALLED IT CORN GRASS. THE COWS LOVED IT. THEY NEEDED THE GREENERY LAST YEAR. THIS YEAR WE ARE FEEDING THEM ORANGES THAT GROW WILD. I DO HAVE CORN PLANTED IN THE FRONT PENS OF THE COWPEN, SO WHEN I TAKE PRISONERS THEY WILL HAVE SOMETHING FRESH AND GREEN TO EAT.

IT GETS TOO HOT HERE FOR CORN TO GET VERY TALL[ WITHOUT EXCESSIVE WATERING AND FERTILIZER]. GUESS FURTHER NORTH YOU ALL GO FOR THE GOLD IN GROWING CORN.

MOM

Latest posts