Grazing Sorghum Sudan

Help Support CattleToday:

ozzyo70

Reaction score
First off this is my first time posting. This is a great site if lots a of greatd info. My questions is. I have a couple of acres of sorghum sudan that we green chopped last fall. It was too wet to even try a 2nd cut when it got to about 24" tall( some areas only got to about 12" tall ). So now we have all the stuble out there and would like to let the cows on that pc. Not so much let them graze it but the field it alot dryer then everything else. I'm just not sure if I will have any issues with the sorghum sudan. I'm thinking not but thought I'd ask. Any feed back would be great....Thanks

The biggest problem with sudan is the prussic acid. It becomes an issue for a short time after a freeze. I assume the grass has been dead since last fall. If so, I don't think you would have an issue. I'm not sure what the nutritional value would be.

Lucky seven is right. Not nitrates. Some varieties they telling me don't have the prussic acid problems like in the past. Don't know anyone that would try it though without waiting a few days after a frost. I plant sudan grass in my calving pastures, don't graze it all summer, let it get 10' tall, and use it for bedding in the winter. They eat some of it, lay on a lot of it, and it seems to work well for me. Better than weeds or bare dirt. gs

Latest posts