Grazing Price Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Chukar Hunter

Reaction score
I own 400 acres of land that is within a larger 3200 ranch. There is some cross fencing here and there but not on property lines. There is a perimeter fence. It has seasonal water. My 400 is not fenced. There is a old timer who leases out the 3200 acres and he wants to lease my 400 because it is smack in the middle of the 3200 ac he leases and he does not want me to lease to another person to co-mingle wiht his cows.

I am trying to figure out how much he should be paying me for my 400 which again is part of a larger 3200 lease he pays on. This is in Southwest Idaho, grassland that is good from Dec-June.

He runs 200 head.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! :deadhorse:

I would say since it is in the middle of his other allotment it is worth it to him to not have others bringing in cows. If this is range, non-irrigated native pasture it will depend on the year as far as carrying capacity. I rent some from my parents. 160 ac in similar country and they get about $500/year. So if you get $1000 that would probably be the high end.

That is my take.

What AUM calculation are you using to figure the $500-$1,000 lease?

3200/ 200 AUM = ??

It is not irrigated it is seasonal water springs -Supports cattle Dec- Spring time..

I think mine is around $12/hd/mo.

So if I put 25 hd in there for about six weeks I figure it is about $500.

If it is winter ground and he isn't feeding, it is worth every bit of that to him. But 200 hd on 400 acres won't last that long. At least I don't think.

I have never seen any grass in SW Idaho just sage, juniper and rocks :mrgreen: :cowboy: :hide:

After reading some of your comments, it seems you do not want your land abused with over grazing, if I were in your shoes I would have grazing restrictions to keep him from abusing the land. if he is not willing to work with you, ask yourself is it worth $500 lease for someone else to abuse your land.

My guess is that since you are not fenced he is gonna use it anyway. Better take any reasonable offer he makes and start putting the money into fence.

3waycross":2wd6riiv said:
My guess is that since you are not fenced he is gonna use it anyway. Better take any reasonable offer he makes and start putting the money into fence.
That's what I was thinking, either take what you can get, or build fence and get nothing.

Latest posts