Grazing Lease Rates in Hood and Erath counties

Help Support CattleToday:

paluxy

Reaction score
Howdy,

Currently working to bring our grazing lease price more in line with the market value. We have about 1000 acres - approximately 300 ac of cultivated fields, 300 ac of river bottom, 400 ac of wooded (cedar/juniper) pasture.

Certainly realize that each property is unique, but any suggestions or comments are appreciated!

I would look closely at the carrying capacity and work it from there. People will pay up to $100 per
Mama cow per year for good pasture, water and fencing. It all becomes very negotiable, depending on lease terms and conditions. $10.00 per acre is a good benchmark. Good luck!

paluxy":36ejxs9r said:
Howdy,

Currently working to bring our grazing lease price more in line with the market value. We have about 1000 acres - approximately 300 ac of cultivated fields, 300 ac of river bottom, 400 ac of wooded (cedar/juniper) pasture.

Certainly realize that each property is unique, but any suggestions or comments are appreciated!

Your hunting is probably worth more than the grazing !
I have friends in Young county that are paying 15-20 per head/pair a month, some are paying 10-15 an acre, but it's what you can get and with your location you should get a premium on hunting and grazing both.
Crop land should be a percentage of the crop, most times it's 25%

Just don't lease to one of your local dairies. They'll overstock, overgraze, destroy fences and kill the larger trees. Just the way they are.

cross_7: Can you expand on your statement "Crop land should be a percentage of the crop, most times it's 25%"? Forgive me, I am not sure I follow.

Are you saying the "crop land" rental is calculated based on the yield of that land?

Thanks in advance!

paluxy":2vj5tje8 said:
cross_7: Can you expand on your statement "Crop land should be a percentage of the crop, most times it's 25%"? Forgive me, I am not sure I follow.

Are you saying the "crop land" rental is calculated based on the yield of that land?

Thanks in advance!
He means you get 25% of the crop. I like 20% better. It's major fair in today's world of out of control input prices.

jedstivers":1tlnay83 said:
paluxy":1tlnay83 said:

Thanks in advance!
He means you get 25% of the crop. I like 20% better. It's major fair in today's world of out of control input prices.

Just as Jed stated
I have not leased out cropland in 20 Plus years, but back then it was 25% to the owner. I hear some land owners are paying 25% of the fertilizer cost when it went up.

jedstivers":34oaza81 said:
paluxy":34oaza81 said:

Thanks in advance!

Farm ground in the flat country is selling for $11,000-15,000 per acre. Add the property tax to the land cost and you will not rent much for 20% of the crop :cowboy: Most all of the ground here (central Ill.) goes for cash rent per acre of $300 on up.

jedstivers":1pu8rs8q said:
That 300 dollar stuff is going to end I think.
Last year I paid 330 and acre on 20% corn rent.

If you paid $330 as 20% you must have raised a very big crop :shock:

mwj":16fs7y47 said:
jedstivers":16fs7y47 said:
That 300 dollar stuff is going to end I think.
Last year I paid 330 and acre on 20% corn rent.

If you paid $330 as 20% you must have raised a very big crop :shock:
It was good and a good price. Pushing that on wheat and beans this year. Not quite there though. Course on this years corn price it was off quite a bit.

Jed the worst part here with the cash rent is they like to lock in the rent for 3-5 years. Some with a majority of rented ground are going to sharpen there pencils to come out on top with the lower prices. Beans were a pleasant surprise to most and did well in spite of a very dry summer.

It's almost all share rent now unless its just a really small place.
On one farm this year I paid 306 an acre on 25% on wheat and beans. Told them it won't be anywhere close next year with the way prices are now.

Latest posts