Grazing Fesue with new Clover?

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
This past weekend i drilled clover into some fescue pasture. What has been your experience grazing the fescue before the clover comes up. I know you want to kee the grass low to favor the clover but what about grazing before it come up if the ground is pretty dry.

Shouldn;t hurt a thing. After we frost seed we just run the cows through the pastures the same as we did before.

I walked the field at lunch and i swear it looks like i see the clover. Is that possible when it was drilled just Sunday. Had 1/2 rain monday and tuesday.

Douglas":3l4u8v5p said:
I walked the field at lunch and i swear it looks like i see the clover. Is that possible when it was drilled just Sunday. Had 1/2 rain monday and tuesday.
Ours takes a week to 10 days before you can actually see it.

Douglas,

I bet that is what you are seeing. This spring I planted I planted red clover in a prepared seedbed pasture on a Saturday, rained Sunday. Checked it Wednesday afternoon and there were little baby clovers poking out of their seeds everywhere.

I had the fescue grazed dow low when i drilled the clover, but it is growing like crazy and i know i will need to get it down to favor the new clover soon. Just not sure when it is safe. I suppose the best answer is to wait for the clover to grow as much as possible yet still be too small for the cows to get a hold of it. I ended up planting a little more seed than i planned so if the cows trod on it a little i should still be ok.

Latest posts