Grazing Feeder Cattle on Cover Crops, Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

blazer21

Reaction score
ok so this may be a little hard to explain clearly but ill try my best. I'm in Southwest MN and we are looking at planting wheat this spring (hopefully within a week) and then in Aug/Sept whenever its ready we are going to harvest it, bale it, and then plant a multiple different cover crops out there on the 100 acres and graze it this fall with some calves.
Some of my questions are: Since this is not going to be a permanent place for grazing to occur, we are going to fence it with electric wire. How many strands should i go to ensure a good fence but also not over kill? is 2 enough or is 3 ideal?

Not sure on what type of calves (lighter or heavier) to put out for grazing late summer/early fall?

I have a small feedlot that i feed cattle in lots, but the grazing aspect is a little new to me but am curious to see how grazing before entering the feedlot really works.

Has anyone grazed cover crops or done anything sort of like i'm going to try? I'd like to know any and all information anyone has. I'm curious to do this trial but also dont want to get myself in too deep if its not going to really be worth it.
Thanks in advance!

I personally like 3 wire electric fences... This is my area I am planning on trying to utilize next year.

ResizedImage_1427231333229_zps55af5f33.jpg

ResizedImage_1427231332473_zpsb524caca.jpg

I feel our season is too short for fall annuals. Not enough time and dry matter for good gains. Your strengths would be grazing summer annuals such as corn or sorghum Sudan. But what the he'll do I know.