grazing alfalfa/grass hay field

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
Is there any dangers in grazing an alalfa/grass hay field? With preg cows and calves? this fall

I'd suggest contacting your local or the closest Ohio State Extension, NCRS or even the Coop. We never let ours graze the alfalfa when we had it but a bull got out, didn't find him until the next morning & he ended up with a nasty case of bloat.

Our cows always take our last cut also. I like to wait until after the frost has killed it, but that seldom happens. If it's a grass / alfalfa mix the cows tend to do fine. It's not a bad idea to have an available dry hay bale available for them to self medicate on.

so I have been letting the cows graze my alfalfa/orchard grass hay field for a few hours a day then take them off where they have accsses to dry hay. we did get a frost , do I need to worry about that or do I need to keep them off the hay field. I ask cause I have heard not to graze for a few days after a killing freeze. I am confused, what is considered a killing frost and do I need too even worry about it????

Latest posts