Gravity wagon...no running gear

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
The running gear on my gravity wagon is finished. For no more trips per year than I make to the elevator, I hate to buy a new running gear. Have the standard issue 16' flat bed trailer. Fender will be in a bad spot to unload. Any suggestions?

Bigfoot said:
The running gear on my gravity wagon is finished. For no more trips per year than I make to the elevator, I hate to buy a new running gear. Have the standard issue 16' flat bed trailer. Fender will be in a bad spot to unload. Any suggestions?

What size gravity wagon? Will your elevator deliver? What is wrong with your running gear?
I would either look for another running gear used or junk the whole thing and find another wagon.

JMJ Farms said:
BF, I'd think it would be cheaper to rebuild or hunt a new running gear rather than tie up a good 16' trailer. No?

I'd take it on and off the trailer. Would be a pain, but I usually make 3 trips, three times a year.

SBMF 2015 said:
Bigfoot said:

What size gravity wagon? Will your elevator deliver? What is wrong with your running gear?
I would either look for another running gear used or junk the whole thing and find another wagon.

Holds a little over 100 bushel. Running gear so far gone, it's been recycled.

1982vett said:
Build a skid for it and elevate it enough to clear the fender.

I was having a similar thought, I have some 6" x 6" post. Doubled up, would get me up a foot. Just a little shy, and my concern was getting it top heavy.

You can buy a fair running gear here with poor tires for $100 to $150.
You can buy a good running gear here with fair tires for $250 to $400.
You can buy a good small gravity box with a good running gear and good tires for $700 to $800.

Bigfoot said:
1982vett said:
Build a skid for it and elevate it enough to clear the fender.

I was having a similar thought, I have some 6" x 6" post. Doubled up, would get me up a foot. Just a little shy, and my concern was getting it top heavy.

Top heavy crossed my mind too, but I counted on you to know that possibility but it might be worth a try. Years ago I built a 8x20 flat deck for my 18 ft trailer to haul 4x5 bales. Worked good... then I bought a 5 ft baler.

Bulk bags are cheap. You have a trailer. I'd get the stuff put in bulk bags and haul it home on the trailer, than put it in the gravity wagon at your leisure. If you feel the need to have it in the gravity wagon.

Silver said:
Bulk bags are cheap. You have a trailer. I'd get the stuff put in bulk bags and haul it home on the trailer, than put it in the gravity wagon at your leisure. If you feel the need to have it in the gravity wagon.

I didn't include enough info in my original post. The gravity wagon shuttles shelled corn from the elevator to my farm. I then store the corn in a gravity bin. I need to be able to hit my auger.

Bigfoot said:
Silver said:

I didn't include enough info in my original post. The gravity wagon shuttles shelled corn from the elevator to my farm. I then store the corn in a gravity bin. I need to be able to hit my auger.

That's kinda why I figured you could park the gravity wagon and bring the product to it in bulk bags. An extra step but saves doing new running gear.

Silver said:
Bigfoot said:
Silver said:

That's kinda why I figured you could park the gravity wagon and bring the product to it in bulk bags. An extra step but saves doing new running gear.

They won't load super sacks, etc. the feed mill would, but it's way more expensive than the elevator.

Latest posts