Gravel harmful to cow's hooves?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a permanent feeder for my beef cows and calves. With all the rain we've had, we're thinking about putting down some gravel where they stand to eat. Since my husband built the feeder, the ground is 6-8" lower because of all the mud and of course, the cows stir it up when they eat. I feed them once a day, so am wondering if standing on gravel for a short time each day will damage their hooves and/or legs. Thanks for any information you can give.

We use a great deal of two inch rock in boggy areas and lanes. It gets ponded in after a while and forms a pretty solid base (less mud). Othe areas we use a mixture of limestone and one inch gravel, no problems there either. I was afraid it might get wedged between the toes and cause problems but none so far, 5 years and counting.

dun

> I have a permanent feeder for my
> beef cows and calves. With all the
> rain we've had, we're thinking
> about putting down some gravel
> where they stand to eat. Since my
> husband built the feeder, the
> ground is 6-8" lower because
> of all the mud and of course, the
> cows stir it up when they eat. I
> feed them once a day, so am
> wondering if standing on gravel
> for a short time each day will
> damage their hooves and/or legs.
> Thanks for any information you can
> give.

If you can...put some geotextile stuff down under the gravel. It's supposed to really help keep it from disappearing into the muck.

I wish I could afford a ton of that stuff!

the two inch rock sounds like a good solution. but gravel? i don't know, guess that if you haven't had any problems, it might be ok, but i wouldn't do it. if it gets stuck in a hoof, that's the end of that animal if you don't notice it quick enough.

i always put up concrete pads where i feed the cattle.

[email protected]

Latest posts