GRAVE YARD

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
My daughter wanted to go look at the local cemetary.A lot of graves from early early pioneers (around 1880 s) those first pioneers paid the price. In a land that can be 105 degreese F---40 below F. they buried there kids wives and husbands--lots of graves from 3 months --6 years old--women who died in childbirth 19-25 years old Made me think when I get up in the winter time ,and Im cold ;I turn up the thermostat -- Imagine a place where its 35 below and you have to get up and start the fire or freeze made me feel a little woosie --I complain about going to the bush to cut a cord of wood for the shop with a chain saw and tractor. But at least I know I could survive if I had to -- I dont think there is to many that could I think they lost their survival instincts

I think the survival instinct is still there in most people. It's just not called on very often. But, in the end, we're still animals and most of us will do what's necessary to survive and to protect our young (no matter how old they get).

Graveyards are creepy. We have a small unmarked graveyard right by our pens. There are 7 people that died from one of those diseases that killed a bunch of people. I really don't know any details, but I stay out of those trees!

I love old grave yards and find them very peaceful places to visit. It is sad to see all the children that died. You can go to old grave yards around here and see lots of young people and children who died in the flu epidimic around 1917. Seemed like some families must have lost every child they had. The gravestones are neat, too. Real works of sculpture. People have been stealing the angels from the graves and selling them. Also knocking over the stones. Some of them have very touching inscriptions. In some of the more remote locations, bodies have been dug up to see if they had any jewelry. Now that creepy!

There are a lot of old grave yards here in NY. Most are family plots most of the head stones have same last names.

Found one on a farm we once rented. It was unkept and not fenced. When I found it on a small point with just a lone old maple tree, it was very quiet there with just the sound of the wind blowing through the maple. It felt weird being there. I went back to the grave yard twice after that and felt the same both times.

The date of death on several the stones was exactly the same, ages were infants to sixties. I can only imagine what happened. I'm sure there is a story there.

my hobby is genealogy, so I'm searching in cemeteries quite often -
there is a website called findagrave.com where people post photos of grave markers so that other researchers can see them. You can request photos and local volunteers will go and take a photo - post it to the website and then you get an email announcing the posting. Last Saturday a lady took a photo of my gr gr gr grandfather's tombstone in Wisconsin. (I live in Arkansas)

I feel bad when I can't find an ancestor's final resting place, kinda like they're lost.

Try not to feel that cemeteries are creepy - remember they are very quiet neighbors. :)

For all that matters, just imagine the people that passed away and didnt have a marker. They could be anywhere along the trail. That to me is so intresting. There are stories where I live aobut a family that was passing through and an infant died for some reason and since it was summer time they had to burry the infant where they were on the trail. I can't imagine how hard that was. I really love to picture how things would have looked and how different our lives would be had it even been 100 years ago.

Our neighbors have an old African American Cemetery on the back side of that place that lies along our fenceline. In the sixties the guy who owned the place leveled all the stones and cleared it off. He sold it in the eighties after his wife died and did not pass along the info on the place. No records at the courthouse any more on it and since 1950 something there has been no visitors. There probably is not 5 people around who remember the place. A few years back we talked to some people about it and they said they would look into it. Never heard from them again. Now we just figure let them rest in peace and if anybody ever asked we will tell them. It would make me sick if they come in and started tearing the place up an digging up bodies. I figure they are dead so just letem be. Also there are alot of indian burial grounds around here in the most backwood places.

We have three old graveyards on our place. Two of them are family graveyards and one is an old slave graveyard. The slave house foundation is just behind my tractor shed. We have left all of these things undisturbed. We also have an old log house that my uncle has redone on our place that was built in 1810.

C & C Land & Catt":ncz6yfcy said:
Our neighbors have an old African American Cemetery on the back side of that place that lies along our fenceline. In the sixties the guy who owned the place leveled all the stones and cleared it off. He sold it in the eighties after his wife died and did not pass along the info on the place. No records at the courthouse any more on it and since 1950 something there has been no visitors. There probably is not 5 people around who remember the place. A few years back we talked to some people about it and they said they would look into it. Never heard from them again. Now we just figure let them rest in peace and if anybody ever asked we will tell them. It would make me sick if they come in and started tearing the place up an digging up bodies. I figure they are dead so just letem be. Also there are alot of indian burial grounds around here in the most backwood places.

Theres an old black graveyard down a dirt road outside Boley that I always though was really neat. Nobody owns it as far as I know although part of it stretches into a guys pasture. An old man who lived close buy used to mow it, but then I think he died. Locals still bury people there sometimes. It has markers dating back to pre-statehood. Some of the markers say things like "Died a free man" or "Freeman". If you ever want to visit an interesting place take a walk through the Boley historical society. Is a shame the town is such a shambles now.

Herefordcross":cazsd290 said:
We have three old graveyards on our place. Two of them are family graveyards and one is an old slave graveyard. The slave house foundation is just behind my tractor shed. We have left all of these things undisturbed. We also have an old log house that my uncle has redone on our place that was built in 1810.
This is pretty interesting subject(slave quarters ect) So in its day how big was the plantation and how many slaves were there?Did the slaves marry and live in there own place or just one big house Id like to know how it all operated Where did those people come from that started the plantations .they must have started out with a lot of money; any info. on that way of life would be greatly appreciated

carl

C & C Land & Catt":iyp9gvl6 said:

I looked up the genealogy website for your county
http://www.rootsweb.com/~okosage2/

if you go there and tell them about the cemetery they can get it listed and around here it is then protected from future land owners deciding to clear away the stones for their own convenience

Have had the opportunity to visit the residents of many resting places all over this countru and a few in other countries.
Some have a pecefull almost welcoming feeling, others are hostile....but then we could open a real can of worms...no pun intended with this thread.
Knowing the local history explains alot of the headstone personals, disease and hard winters took so many children and young women.
Remember this from one in Toumbstone AZ
"Here lies Les Moore
Four shots from a 44
No Les, No Moore"
Just my two bits worth....DMc