Grave discovery

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Was cleaning out around some cedars today at the house. The field has always seemed a little odd to me because there are about 9 out of place sink holes . Well , I think I figured out what they are. Close to one of the trees there is a grave stone marked Amelia 1840-1910 . Goes on to say amelia was a wayword soul . We hit it with a dozer before we knew what it was. I stood the marker back up and have named the pasture Amelia's field. Anyone else have any dealings with old gravesites?

She lived a long time to be wayward.

This is really interesting. It might take some time and research, but I'd bet whatever you found out about that cemetary might make it worth the effort. But then, I like historical stuff like that.

On the homeplace my brother and I stumbled onto an old cellar full of old text books. Seems as tho there was a school on the property at one time...and the building that we knew as the haybarn had been the teacher's home...a big 2 story structure with 2 sets of stairs. My brother and I started peeling off the wall paper and found old newspapers behind it. It was really pretty cool.

Alice

I was looking at a piece of land once with an old graveyard on it. The graveyard had a rather interesting story, but thats another topic.

Anyway, there is a federal program that will provide you funding to maintain it. I dont know all the in and outs of the program or what agency it was through. I do know part of this gravesite was used as a pasture since statehood at the least. The graveyard was 100+ years old.

denoginnizer":3v3lw95d said:
Was cleaning out around some cedars today at the house. The field has always seemed a little odd to me because there are about 9 out of place sink holes . Well , I think I figured out what they are. Close to one of the trees there is a grave stone marked Amelia 1840-1910 . Goes on to say amelia was a wayword soul . We hit it with a dozer before we knew what it was. I stood the marker back up and have named the pasture Amelia's field. Anyone else have any dealings with old gravesites?

Well we know what those sink holes are now.

We had a small grave that we kept fenced off from the cattle when we were in Saskatchewan - never did find out who it was -the date was the only thing we could read and it was 185X? I wrote it into the sales contract that that fence had to stay - if found to be otherwise it would result in legal action.

I know we never would do that, but it seemed the right thing to do. Oldest daughter was by there about a month ago and said they had it kept up real nice.

The place I live on now has a reported grave yard - the old gentleman down the road remembers coming to a burial here when he was about 6 years old. He is now over 90. He does not remember just where it is - but remembers he was near the big pond in the back.

I suspect it is in the maple forest we have but he is too old to walk there and show me. Apparently she died in the winter and they kept her and the coffin in the summer kitchen until the ground thawed. He said it used to scare him to come over to the house.

If we ever find it we will clean it up and keep grass and weeds under control - it was a hard life in those days and you have to respect them for making it without all of the conveniences of today.

For a small fee you can go to land titles and pull all the old records - you might find it very interesting - we did and managed to find all of the old owners - including the very first.

The first family was given the land by the government for miitary service - I believe in India. This farm was first settled in 1806. Just over 200 years ago.

Hope you manage to fix things up a bit on your own personal graveyard. Amelia would probably appreciate it.

Bez>

We have about 15 on a wooded hill 5 are marked with small headstones dated 1875- 1885 . Most only have rocks set on end . I dont know how many are there that aren't marked .
Of the ones that are marked , one is a woman and the others are her children. non of them over 2 years old . I think the woman was about 31 when she died.

Life was hard back then.

Alice":sk8o8n3c said:

This is really interesting. It might take some time and research, but I'd bet whatever you found out about that cemetary might make it worth the effort. But then, I like historical stuff like that.

On the homeplace my brother and I stumbled onto an old cellar full of old text books. Seems as tho there was a school on the property at one time...and the building that we knew as the haybarn had been the teacher's home...a big 2 story structure with 2 sets of stairs. My brother and I started peeling off the wall paper and found old newspapers behind it. It was really pretty cool.

Alice

That is REALLY cool. I also love doing historical research too.

There's an old guy over in Mississippi I met one time that bought a place with a fairly large "Slave Cemetary" on it.

He got interested in the geneaology of these slaves.

Anyway, he was able to track some of the descendants down to let them know they had kinfolks on his land. They in turn found most every one else in the family, got together and started a donation fund to the owner every year and have a Family Reunion there.

The old guy told me they gave him $8,000.00 one year for keeping the grass cut around the gravesite. Said they never give him less than $5,000.00 a year. Pretty good income from 1-2 acres.

The old guy deserved it. He was a disabled vet just scrapping by.

I always leave old graves wondering what it was like.

Horticattleman":2w3eh2c7 said:
Alice":2w3eh2c7 said:

Alice

That is REALLY cool. I also love doing historical research too.

Well, this is somewhat off subject...but, an old man lived not far from where the homeplace was...long before Mother and Daddy bought it...Old Man Snow. He went off his rocker and killed his wife, chopped her up, and burned the pieces. I understand the stench was incredible.

Anyway, my best friend's mother was a collector...and somehow she wound up with this huge, old dining room table that had a stain on it that would not come out. She did some investigating and it turns out it was the table that Old Man Snow did the carving on. She never would say who she got the table from. Antique collectors tried and tried to buy that table from her...but she wouldn't turn loose of it...nor would she turn loose of anything else.

When she died I helped clean out her buildings...and I found thousands of dollars worth of depression glass buried under the ground in her greenhouse. It was cool...like going on an archaeological dig.

No graves tho...well except for all of the animals she had. The woman would bury her dead chickens, cats, dogs, guppies...strange little lady.

Alice

I like geneology, have been delving into my family history and my Husbands US family also. have found some very interesting things. Found one SIR back in 1640, and a load of rouges. No one famous yet more infamous.

there are a lot of pagients going on at the moment here for the 200 years of the Abolishion of the Slave Trade. Have you any over in the States?

We have three grave yards on our place, 1.) Rainey Graveyar, 2.) Lyle Family Graveyard 3.) Slaves of the Lyle Farm graveyard is about 200 yards from my house. Only one of them is even noticable with no stones at all.

chrisy":2nla74rw said:
I like geneology, have been delving into my family history and my Husbands US family also. have found some very interesting things. Found one SIR back in 1640, and a load of rouges. No one famous yet more infamous.

there are a lot of pagients going on at the moment here for the 200 years of the Abolishion of the Slave Trade. Have you any over in the States?

Not until June 13...

Alice

The graveyard I spoke of was originally a freedmans graveyard. I say originally because part of it is still in use by people from the adjacent town of Boley, an original black township. Some of the gravestones say things like "died free" or "died a freeman".

3MR":2w3f85hw said:
The graveyard I spoke of was originally a freedmans graveyard. I say originally because part of it is still in use by people from the adjacent town of Boley, an original black township. Some of the gravestones say things like "died free" or "died a freeman".

Oh wow! Talk about history!

Alice

When I was in the Army I spent some time at FT Campbell Ky. There is two or three old pioneer cemeteries out around the post. I came crawling through one in the middle of the night once on a field exercise. It kinda gave me the creeps at first. After I looked at some of the dates on the stones it became very interesting. They were somewhat maintained also, brush kept clear and such.

I'm a genealogy researcher also - I've even been able to get in touch with some distant "cousins" through the internet
received a copy of my great great grandmother's autobiography and a copy of a family history written by my gg grandfather (another family). The worst criminal I've found so far is another gg grandfather that sold hard cider on Sunday. :oops: :oops:

anyway - you might advise people that are researching your county of your find -
find your county on this list and post a message - someone is bound to be thrilled with the information
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.n ... es/mb.ashx

I'd love to find where my grandmother's uncle was buried in 1900. All I have is - they were in southern Missouri and the cemetery was in "the foothills of the Ozarks" and was named Pleasant Valley Cemetery.
Of course, no one has ever heard of a cemetery named Pleasant Valley. :roll:

There is an unmarked graveyard not 50 yards from the back of my MIL's house. There are 7 people buried there. I don't know much about them but there are 3 adults and 4 children that died of yellow fever. I get creeped out there. When cows go in those trees I don't follow.

sidney411":11s4s3o9 said:
There is an unmarked graveyard not 50 yards from the back of my MIL's house. There are 7 people buried there. I don't know much about them but there are 3 adults and 4 children that died of yellow fever. I get creeped out there. When cows go in those trees I don't follow.

Why not, afraid of catching "Yellow" fever from them? I wouldnt worry about it, sounds like you already have it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

supposedly we have an indian burial ground somewhere but i havent stumbled upon it.

In 1974, the power company were erecting mainline pylons across the bottom end of my parents' land, while excavating for the concrete 'footings' a skull was exhumed. Once the police had confirmed it to be old, the archeologists dug up a total of three complete skeletons, all buiried sitting upright, in a foetal position, along with arrowheads (flint) ostrich shell necklaces, and other personal items. They were identified as the remains of two adult and one juvinile San (Bushman) people, buiried 1000 years before, when they were the only inhabitants of that regeon. It was a fascinating glimps into the past.

andybob":2b9l7skz said:
In 1974, the power company were erecting mainline pylons across the bottom end of my parents' land, while excavating for the concrete 'footings' a skull was exhumed. Once the police had confirmed it to be old, the archeologists dug up a total of three complete skeletons, all buiried sitting upright, in a foetal position, along with arrowheads (flint) ostrich shell necklaces, and other personal items. They were identified as the remains of two adult and one juvinile San (Bushman) people, buiried 1000 years before, when they were the only inhabitants of that regeon. It was a fascinating glimps into the past.

Whoa! Now that's something else!

Alice

Latest posts