Grasshoppers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Anyone having trouble with grasshoppers this year?... we were good up unitl two weeks ago, now we have lots. They keep a pasture well trimmed down when there is a lot of them lil buggers.

I am in Maryland! And I am having a terrible problem with them. Actually thought today about spraying and had my IPM guy look.

He said that I they hadn't done enough damage to warrant the cost of spraying.

Odd to see your post this evening.

I am also having a problem wtih scolecotricum gramninis (fungus) in orchard grass in one field. Anyone else? Never seen it before, but it's the second field my IPM guy has seen because he instantly knew what it was because the University of Maryland just cultured some of the fungus from the other field.

ccstockfarms_2003":2yz77vok said:
Anyone having trouble with grasshoppers this year?... we were good up unitl two weeks ago, now we have lots. They keep a pasture well trimmed down when there is a lot of them lil buggers.
Typically you will see them more on overgrazed or thin pasture. Seems the lush pasture never has a problem - or we just never see it. Always seems to be bad during a dry season or overgrazed pasture.

Anonymous":33tihwp9 said:
Is it just me or is this bold type be nice irritating? Stop yelling!!!

Nah. but Larry must think it makes HIM Seem IMPORTANT.
txag brought upp the subject once before. His reply is he likes it that way or something to that effect

Hardly saw a grasshopper this year- What didn't freeze out during the long tough winter must have drowned with all the rain we've had this summer-

You need a couple hundred wild turkeys. We have hardly any hoppers out in the pastures, but the yard around the house has way more then is comfortable.

dun

The hoppers have been fairly devastating on some fields and pastures around here. Seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which have been the most adversely affected either. Only good part is that it's fairly easy to catch some trout bait.

Take care.

Anonymous":3rlnfoh0 said:

that wasn't me this time, but i agree. it is irritating & i don't think his opinion is worth any more than anyone else's but apparently he does.

txag":2zb3qtdk said:
Anonymous":2zb3qtdk said:

that wasn't me this time, but i agree. it is irritating & i don't think his opinion is worth any more than anyone else's but apparently he does.
I am 100% in agreement with txag

Tc":15qb00gh said:
who cares, as long you can read it.is there anything you boys wont bitch about?

We used to say "A bithing sailor was a hppy sailor". Substitute reader of these board for sailor and I guess it mean there are lots of happy folks out there.

dun

Well at least Larry has the guts to register, unlike some "guests", and he apparently even uses his real name. He's pretty passionate about his grass fed methods, his Fabron bulls, etc. and I rather like that and generally enjoy reading his posts. I'm too dimwitted and new to the cattle game to know if he is a true guru, a smoke blower, or a combination of both. The bold print is of course different and unusual, but not nearly as irritating to me as when somebody emails me, or types on message boards, in all CAPS!!!

Arnold Ziffle":10wyyhqo said:
The bold print is of course different and unusual, but not nearly as irritating to me as when somebody emails me, or types on message boards, in all CAPS!!!

basically, in cyberspace etiquette, all CAPS & bold are the same. they're both equivalent to yelling in a real conversation & are considered rude.

txag":9yqi8u56 said:
Arnold Ziffle":9yqi8u56 said:
The bold print is of course different and unusual, but not nearly as irritating to me as when somebody emails me, or types on message boards, in all CAPS!!!

basically, in cyberspace etiquette, all CAPS & bold are the same. they're both equivalent to yelling in a real conversation & are considered rude.
Thanks txag Maybe others on this board will understand what you are saying.
But Maybe not too. Very probable.

Latest posts