*&#$%& grasshoppers..

Help Support CattleToday:

am trying to get answers now from the chemical guy..my hayguy did the legwork for me yesterday..but he feeds most of his hay to horses..not cattle..

I think we are going with Mustang Max..thanks to BC for letting me know about the grazing restrictions with Cobalt... the MM should take care of our problem AND be safe for our cows and horses to eat.
the friend who does our hay said it was a good thing I checked on all this..thanks again to all.

I will let everyone know if this destroys the hoppers..

I am holding onto the fact that I think I killed afew with my lawn mower last night while I mowed some of the taller grass around my roundpen and arena.

Well aware of that Tiger..will spray and then check 2 weeks later and reapply again if needed.
May start spraying today, have to get the rounds out of the field first..its been raining enough to make it hard to get back there..going to sneak in and get this done before the friggin rain from Alex comes in.

Husband is getting Sevin to spray my bushes in the front and Diazone for around the house.

spinandslide":1vv00o0b said:
..going to sneak in and get this done before the friggin rain from Alex comes in.

HUSH YOURSELF....... :lol: They just might hop a wind to Arkansas and Missouri and be done with you.

1982vett":201odzgz said:
spinandslide":201odzgz said:
..going to sneak in and get this done before the friggin rain from Alex comes in.

HUSH YOURSELF....... :lol: They just might hop a wind to Arkansas and Missouri and be done with you.[/quote]

You can keep it for now. Hope your getting some rain

JHH":61z4tntk said:
1982vett":61z4tntk said:
spinandslide":61z4tntk said:

HUSH YOURSELF....... :lol: They just might hop a wind to Arkansas and Missouri and be done with you.[/quote]

You can keep it for now. Hope your getting some rain
Picked up and inch and a half yesterday. Looks like Alex shifted the high pressure north. Lots of moisture being drawn in so maybe we can catch a few more showers before it takes over again.

ick..nasty, rainy, HUMID weekend!

Alex held back til we got the rounds out of the field and then he let loose..so will have to wait for the field to dry before spraying it..hopefully later this week..my husband did say, while he was out there picking up the hay..there werent a huge vast amount of hoppers like I had envisioned..we sprayed our yard, around the house and my bushes..it was extremly satisfying to see those buggers dead this AM. :lol:

spinandslide":yi55swlc said:
ick..nasty, rainy, HUMID weekend!

Alex held back til we got the rounds out of the field and then he let loose..so will have to wait for the field to dry before spraying it..hopefully later this week..my husband did say, while he was out there picking up the hay..there werent a huge vast amount of hoppers like I had envisioned..we sprayed our yard, around the house and my bushes..it was extremly satisfying to see those buggers dead this AM. :lol:

Well since you have all this free "bait" you might as well go fishing. ;-)

Richard, we sure did.. ;-)

my 9 year old caught him a bunch of those hoppers..then he and his dad went fishing..didnt catch anything though..pond just has perch though, and its a popular fishing spot for the kids in town(its a throwback), so they might have been "full"..Im told the catfish LOVE the hoppers..so will have to go to a fishing spot with catfish next time.

Might I make a suggestion..... MMMMM MMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMM!! ;-)

APPETIZERS

Dry Roasted Grasshoppers
Spread fresh, frozen and cleaned insects on paper towels on a cookie sheet. Bake at 200° for 1-2 hours until desired state of dryness is reached. Check state of dryness by attempting to crush insect with spoon.

Garlic Butter Fried Grasshoppers
1/4 cup butter
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup cleaned insects*

Melt butter in fry pan. Reduce heat. Sauté garlic in butter for 5 minutes. Add insects.
Continue sautéing for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Grasshopper Fritters
from 'Ronald Taylor's "Butterflies in My Stomach"

3/4 cup sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 c grasshoppers
1 pt. heavy cream beaten stiff

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl. Slowly add milk and beat until smooth. Add egg and beat well.
Pluck off grasshopper wings and legs, heads optional. Dip insects in egg batter and deep fry. Salt and serve.
from Amazing Grasshopper Recipes.

Parched Locusts
This dish was discovered by William Dampier in 1687, while visiting the Bashee Islands (located between the
Philippines and Taiwan). He described it in A New Voyage Round the World:

They had another Dish made of a sort of Locusts, whose Bodies were about an Inch and an half long, and as thick
as the top of one's little Finger; with large thin Wings, and long and small Legs. ...
The Natives would go out with small Nets, and take a Quart at one sweep. When they had enough, they would carry them home, and parch them over the Fire in an earthen Pan; and then their Wings and Legs would fall off, and their Heads and Backs would turn red like boil'd Shrimps, being before brownish. Their Bodies being full, would eat very moist, their Heads would crackle in one's Teeth. I did once eat of this Dish, and liked it well enough....

Popcorn Crunch
Here's an easy treat to prepare and take to the drive-in movie. The kids will love it.

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
3 quarts popcorn, popped
1 cup dry roasted insects, chopped

Blend the butter and honey together in a saucepan and heat gently. Mix the popcorn with the insects and pour the
butter-honey mixture over it. Mix well. Spread on a cookie sheet in a thin layer. Bake at 350° 10 to 15 minutes,
or until crisp. Break into bite-sized pieces.

OOPS!! forgot the best one.... :nod:

Oaxaca Enchiladas
About 1000 grasshoppers (the younger the better)
1/2 cup chili sauce
pinch of salt
garlic
onion
1 lemon
1 cup guacamole
6 tortillas

Directions: Soak the grasshoppers in clean water for 24 hours. Boil them, then let dry. Fry in a pan with garlic, onion, salt and lemon. Roll up in tortillas with chili sauce and guacamole.

OOOOH and I forgot dessert!!!

Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers

2 Squares of semisweet chocolate
25 dry-roasted crickets and/or grasshoppers with legs and wings removed.
Melt chocolate as directed on the box. Dip insects in chocolate place on wax paper and refrigerate.

Good luck with that. Even dipped in chocolate I don't think I could eat them.

It doesn't sound like you have a plague. If you do your whole crop would have disappeared by lunch time.

Grasshoppers, fireants, chiggers, flies...list goes on and on...

You never eliminate them...just slow them down and/or move them from one place to another...lol.

So far, we've only had a few grasshoppers here. Keeping fingers crossed. We have several barn cats that are "fed" a small amount of dog food daily to keep them aliver, but still hungry: their job---catch and eat grasshoppers, june bugs, pocket gophers.

:)

LazyA, I printed these out..LOL..not sure if I am at that..um..point yet? my friend from Mexico says he loves chocolate covered hoppers..Ive put out an APB on facebook telling friends who need bait or want to create some unique dishes to come to my house

Bill, My cat does eat them..and I do what you do..feed her abit to keep her hungry so she'll make sure the mice, rats and various other critters are kept down. I had four kitties, now just the one..yotes and the owl afew ranches down did the rest of them in.

Latest posts