grasshopper liquid fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":2mjlucgq said:
dun":2mjlucgq said:
Jogeephus":2mjlucgq said:
If you talk to my neighbor, make an ugly person pretty,

I know a couple of folks on these boards that should bathe in the stuff then
Dun my wife says if I was any prettier that nobody could stand it cause I would have all the wimmins
and that you guys are just jealous
I didn;t think anyone could stand you now!

Angus Cowman":39bwzlhi said:
dun":39bwzlhi said:
Dun my wife says if I was any prettier that nobody could stand it cause I would have all the wimmins
and that you guys are just jealous
I didn;t think anyone could stand you now!
They probably can't but I have never tried to run in a popularity contest
I have always said I was born an A$$Hole and just grew bigger

Jogeephus
"With iron and some other foliars I've experimented with it seems two maybe three weeks is tops. Is this about what you have observed?"

Yes, they seem to have a 3 week activity period. At first, 3 weeks seemed short. When looking closer, it's pretty good. People talk about fertilizer lasting over a period of months in some cases, but that is inaccurate. Their fertilizer may take months to breakdown into a usable form, but that is not the same as the fertilizer working for months. Nitrogen for example will only last 3-4 weeks once fully broken down. For example: spray a commercial liquid 28 and then irrigate or receive 3 inches of rain. Within a week the urea will go to work. After 1 month the urea is used up. I don't think foliar fertilizers are necessarily short acting – it's just that the acting may start immediately.

"From what I've seen, there is a color difference for about two weeks. I don't know this to be true but I suspect that when the grass is greener it is more nutritious."

I agree. The grass is more nutritious at this point. There have been times when we will spray horse hay 2 weeks before cutting to boost protein, tdn and rfv. In our area, it is very common for dairies to use the same practice on their hay. After 3 weeks, the color may not be as dark. This is not because the ingredients are gone or used up, but rather the ingredients are now spread throughout more yield, thus less concentration in color.
Also
Some of these fertilizers use feed grade urea or even higher grades in some cases. No doubt the urea by itself improves the quality of the cow feed.

"This is what I was wondering about as we have highly weathered soils. Some say we have thirsty sand in need of nourishment. Been trying to build the soil profile up but this takes time."

We have similar soil. I think I also have thirsty sand. Building those types of soils can take a long time. I have sometimes wondered if the soil is the only thing I was feeding – considering the leaching. Some people think poor soil excludes the option of foliar, I think just the opposite. Sometimes those soils can be the most reluctant to share their nutrients with the plant. Foliar bypasses the soils inefficiency. Most foliar studies comment on its ability to correct deficiencies within the plant – very often caused by poor soil.

Angus Cowman
"unsprayed 2.3 bales per acre and the sprayed fields I got 3.7 bales per acre and the cost of spraying was a lil under $18 pr acre"

That sounds pretty good. We usually experience a 25% yield increase compared to no fertilizer at all. Comparing it to granular depends on a long list of conditions. At your increase, depending on bale weight, you may have gained 1500-2000lbs per acre. With 12% protein (just a guess), you've added 180-240lbs of protein for $18. That is considerably cheaper than range cubes. This does not factor in the higher tdn.

John 250
I should have said something like "The sales pitches I have received for foliar fertilizer are BOGUS".

I agree. We have a lot of those companies and salesman in my area. These companies sell a jug to cover 40 acres – that just doesn't add up. Not to mention, these jugs might only be 4-15% nitrogen. These products also contain bacteria and sometimes high amounts of boron – designed to trick the soil into releasing more nutrients than usual. In our area we see a lot of Monty's, N-Texx, Aggrand, Watson Ranch etc. Their reputations seem to decline by the day.
My personal opinion:
I hope I don't offend anybody. I think these up and coming organic type companies are nothing more than environmentalists trying to prevent us from using chemical fertilizer. They start off selling unicorn farts and then fish kisses. Then they move into the Ag market when they realize the amount of money there is to be made. They know very little about farming and ranching. I have had these companies try to tell me their product is a true foliar and in the same breath, tell me to apply the product before a rain so that it can wash the product into the soil. What idiots!! I think there environmentalist supervisor must have told them that foliar, nitrogen, tdn, yields, etc are buzz words and they should try to use them as often as possible regardless of their understanding.

Sorry for the rant.