GrassFed

Help Support CattleToday:

Grassfed in large scale takes away needed grass from the national brood cow herd thus producing less calves. If you had a calf to finish grass operation i would suspect you would have to cut your brood cow herd by about 40%. i doubt that you could come out finacially against feedlot even with high corn prices. The reality is we went to the feedlot because it was more economical. That hasn't changed and we need the beef produced as fast as possible not sitting around eating up needed pasture for an extra 6-12 months.

KANSAS":2umfd35k said:
I did not want to interfere on the previous post regarding grass fed so I figured I would start a new one. With all the talk of the potential of the industry moving towards animals that are more efficient at finishing out on grass what 3 or 4 breeds would you folks recommend?

Red Poll

I don't think your going to see large scale grass fed operations, most will be small scale. I have a friend who sells grass fed Highlanders and he slaughters at 3 years of age, his hanging weight price is $4.00/pound. I've not sat down and done the math on it, but I think he's probably making about the same as a conventional feeder.

Bobg

Bobg":26toifgz said:
I don't think your going to see large scale grass fed operations, most will be small scale. I have a friend who sells grass fed Highlanders and he slaughters at 3 years of age, his hanging weight price is $4.00/pound. I've not sat down and done the math on it, but I think he's probably making about the same as a conventional feeder.

Bobg

As fuel price increases, ethanol/corn prices will follow; BUT so will fertilizer. It will take a more knowledgable economist than me too predict which model will be more economical 20 years from now.