grasses/winter&summer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking about planting winter wheat and maybe fescue also. Hearing and reading about the pitfalls of fescue, thinking about only wheat, then burmuda HEAVY in the spring///trying to cut my hay bill///no baler or cutter. Paying for both. HELP?!?!?

[email protected]

It depends on where you are located and if you already have any fescue growing. If you don't already have any fescue, you could plant one of the endophyte friendly fescues. If you already have fescue you can over seed a legume, one of the clovers. Red or white. We frost seeded red clover several years ago and our weaning weights went up 50 lbs. This year was a definite clover year. The clover actually choked out the fescue so we have acres of red clover and very little fescue left.

dunmovin farms

> I'm thinking about planting winter
> wheat and maybe fescue also.
> Hearing and reading about the
> pitfalls of fescue, thinking about
> only wheat, then burmuda HEAVY in
> the spring///trying to cut my hay
> bill///no baler or cutter. Paying
> for both. HELP?!?!?

> It depends on where you are
> located and if you already have
> any fescue growing. If you don't
> already have any fescue, you could
> plant one of the endophyte
> friendly fescues. If you already
> have fescue you can over seed a
> legume, one of the clovers. Red or
> white. We frost seeded red clover
> several years ago and our weaning
> weights went up 50 lbs. This year
> was a definite clover year. The
> clover actually choked out the
> fescue so we have acres of red
> clover and very little fescue
> left.

> dunmovin farms

What is the cost of putting out clover? Who you do it with a spreader and fertilizer like rye or does it have to be actually planted?

[email protected]

It depends on how much clover costs in your area. If you have snow, broadcast on top of the snow, I like it that way cause you can see where it has been put. If no snow but good freezes that freeze the soil so that you get frost heaving, just broadcat it on the ground right over the grass that's already there. Either way, about 10 lbs to the acre will do it, if you don't get cold enough winters you would have to drill it or disk it our someway get it 1/4 inch below the surface. We frost/snow seed in February, that gives it enough time to work down into the soil before it warms up enough to germinate. Make sure you inoculate the seed.

dunmovin farms

> What is the cost of putting out
> clover? Who you do it with a
> spreader and fertilizer like rye
> or does it have to be actually
> planted?

> It depends on how much clover
> costs in your area. If you have
> snow, broadcast on top of the
> snow, I like it that way cause you
> can see where it has been put. If
> no snow but good freezes that
> freeze the soil so that you get
> frost heaving, just broadcat it on
> the ground right over the grass
> that's already there. Either way,
> about 10 lbs to the acre will do
> it, if you don't get cold enough
> winters you would have to drill it
> or disk it our someway get it 1/4
> inch below the surface. We
> frost/snow seed in February, that
> gives it enough time to work down
> into the soil before it warms up
> enough to germinate. Make sure you
> inoculate the seed.

> dunmovin farms what is inoculate the seed and how do you do it?

[email protected]

Legumes require an inoculant, clover is different then lespedeza which is different from alfalfa, etc. When purchasing the seed, some is preinoculated, if not ask the seed folks for the proper inoculant. You just mix th stuff with the seed, usually a package per 50 lbs. It is black and I think a bacteria that allows germination. Just ask for the correct inoculant, the directions will be on the package.

dunmovin farms

Latest posts