Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
What are the common forage grasses in your part of the country/world? In the Mo Ozarks it's primarily tall fescue and to a limited degree various other cool season and warm season grasses. i.e. brome, bermuda, bluestem (big and little), switch grass, indian grass, endophyte free fescue, novel endophyte fescue, and I'm sure a few others that I can't think of off hand.

dun

Tall fescue is the main one here in central ky. Pastures have also filled back in with lots of clover over the past couple of years, also see quite a bit of orchard grass, and timothy. Many people with small plantings of alfalfa.

Bermuda and Bahia cover a lot of ground here in East Texas. We are rotating pasture every few days and the grass is still growing good. The recent rains have really helped. :D :D

The two most common here are Bermuda and Fescue. All the fescue is hot. Common bermuda grows pretty much as a wild grass, and it's hard to kill out before sprigging a hybrid. Many folks use a fescue, bermuda mix. Not much clover around. We are all bermuda. Coastal, Tif 44 and Russell. I like the Tif 44 best. Holds up better to grazing, and makes more hay per acre.

Native bermudagrass here...drought tolerant and survives. Also have small occasional spots of buffalograss, bluestem, and/or other native types. We fertilize it all.

Buy round bales of grass hay for cattle as needed. Use alfalfa for horses and special supplement for a lactating cow or for calves as needed for extra protein (along with 20% cubes).

100% cool season grass. Orchard grass, tall fescue, ryegrass, bent grass, blue grass, canary reedgrass, quack grass and meadow foxtail are the primary ones.
Dave

Dun, the alfalfa is all cut for hay and square baled but some do let their cows in on it to graze later in the year.

Oh sure names...yikes. Can I get away with just saying native high elevation grasses? Probably not.

Lets see there's short bunch grass, some rye grass, wheat grass, some speices of bluegrass, timothy, and the rest of the native ones ;-) . Then what we call wire grass or maybe it's commonly called buffalo grass? not sure. some fescue and getting run over by Idaho fescue in some spots(not a good thing). We get one cutting in August. Growing season is very short. And on a normal year about 1 ton to the acre. And the past 3 years about 1/8 ton per acre. And normally TDN in the mid 60's.

Up where I'm at we can't grow anything like alfalfa, or crops. Down in the valleys around 5500 foot and lower elevation they can though. Some areas they can get a 3rd cutting of alfalfa if it's just right. And they can grow most things through out MT.

Oh and knapweed is running crazy now through the western and central part of the state from Idaho. My county is trying their darnest to keep it under control, but kind of hard when people go driving through places with knapweed then the cars drop seeds off when they come into non infested areas.

Summer grasses are coastal bermuda, primarily Jiggs and Tifton, although we do have a small plot of World Feeder. A lot of "common" bermuda, johnson grass, some native bunch grasses.

Winter grazing is predominately rye and clover, although we generally overseed with oats or wheat.

Latest posts