grass

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have 2 dairy steers 500 lbs in a feedlot at home, I have pasture but no fence, how much grass hand clipped, can be fed to them? it is a mixed variety with no alfalfa, it is in full bloom. thank you yvette

[email protected]

> I have 2 dairy steers 500 lbs in a
> feedlot at home, I have pasture
> but no fence, how much grass hand
> clipped, can be fed to them? it is
> a mixed variety with no alfalfa,
> it is in full bloom. thank you
> yvette

Depends on nutrient value and all of the grass. Any "hand-clipped grass" should be fed immediately and not left on ground to ferment. A 500 lb animal could probably eat 1/4 to 1/3 bale of hay a day if no other feed--this would translate into a LOT of loose cut forage...perhaps 2-3 trash bags (30-33 gal size) of loose material. Can you find some hay to feed them along with some bagged "complete" feed such as Hi-Pro Beef Ration or Purina Beef Pro. Nutrena also has some good feed. With those feeds, probably 1-2 3LB coffee cans a day along with the hay.

[email protected]

> Depends on nutrient value and all
> of the grass. Any
> "hand-clipped grass"
> should be fed immediately and not
> left on ground to ferment. A 500
> lb animal could probably eat 1/4
> to 1/3 bale of hay a day if no
> other feed--this would translate
> into a LOT of loose cut
> forage...perhaps 2-3 trash bags
> (30-33 gal size) of loose
> material. Can you find some hay to
> feed them along with some bagged
> "complete" feed such as
> Hi-Pro Beef Ration or Purina Beef
> Pro. Nutrena also has some good
> feed. With those feeds, probably
> 1-2 3LB coffee cans a day along
> with the hay. I'm sorry, I should have told you, I feed 14% dairy grain 2.5%BW ( they are Jersey steers), I feed 2nd cut alfalfa, and 1st cut grass hay. I just noticed they were not eating very much hay, so I wondered how much grass I can (fresh)clip for them, I dont want any rumen problems with the low hay intake..high grain intake..the alfalfa hay is dairy quality, the first cut hay is top horse quality. this is feed I had left over from selling my horses, the feed I feed is not spoiled in any way..the grass I clip is lush and long stemmed 4 feet high mixed types, I clip it into 3 inch pieces and fill a muck bucket and feed it in the morning and let them eat hay the rest of the day, is this enough grass for good rumen function when they eat only a bit of hay? a bit of hay is a 1/4 bale if that, the bales are 50-60 lbs and is alfalfa hay.this is between them, per day, and they only eat the leaves and leave most of the stems, the first cut hay they wont even touch..the grain I feed in 3 seperate meals, I also have loose minerals and loose salt for them too..I also bought alfalfa pellets but only feed a little bit with their grain for taste.

[email protected]

Latest posts