grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

DPANTOJA

Reaction score
My brother is a foreman for a big landscaping company and he has a lot of sod that they throw away would I be able to feed this to some cows? Does this grass have enough nutrition for them?

Thanks.

I think you mean sod not saw. And no you cant feed sod to cows, but you could put in a sprigger and sprig a field with it.

Do you think he meant sod or straw?? Alot of landscapers use straw to hold the ground for erosion purposes. I guess it could be picked back up when the grass finally grows in.

eric":1x5pp9dp said:
Do you think he meant sod or straw?? Alot of landscapers use straw to hold the ground for erosion purposes. I guess it could be picked back up when the grass finally grows in.
By then it would most likely be rotted, if not from rain then from the grass being watered about every day.

sod still has the dirt attached....cows might not like that too much....you could plant it, but what type of seed grew the stuff? :help:

DPANTOJA":3sbpk6nl said:
My brother is a foreman for a big landscaping company and he has a lot of sod that they throw away would I be able to feed this to some cows? Does this grass have enough nutrition for them?

Thanks.

What chemicals have been put on the grass? Would there be something that might hurt the cattle?

Sod for landscaping is usually a short growing grass.

Might not be much forage there to eat.

You sure don't want a landscaping type sod growing in your pasture. :roll: