Grass to finish

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":1fgngqd7 said:
Mow the Bahia about every three days do about an acre of so each time this will allow the steer to have lush grass to eat. Cattle evolved to eat grass and legumes and not grain. May not be any thing to it but grass finished cattle's meat is supposed to have omega 3 in it and is as healthy as Salmon.

hurleyjd":1fgngqd7 said:
LRTX1":1fgngqd7 said:
Farm raised or natural caught salmon?

Farm raised

That's not exactly true. True, farm raised salmon has more omega-3 than wild but grassfed cattle only have 20 mg of per 100 grams of beef whereas farm raised salmon has 3 grams per 100 grams of flesh making farm raised salmon 50 times higher than grassfed beef.

In beef, the omega 6 to omega 3 for grassfed is 2:1 and grain finished is 4:1 so grassfed is a better source of O3 BUT this is biased data because this assumes the cattle are taken off all green forage. For each day a cow is off green forage the O3 decreases but this is not always the case when you are finishing an animal on the farm - or if you are using a high omega 3 feed in your ration. So it could easily be argued that the most healthy and most flavorful beef is the animal you finish in a small pasture and supplement with grain. True, your ratio of fat may skew some of your O3 numbers making it look less concentrated BUT this is a mute point when you consider the flavor and marbling which comes from the fat the grain adds.

Of course this goes against the big sales pitch of the grassfed marketers but if one is really interested in increasing their intake of Omega 3 they might consider eating beef eyeballs. These are really high in omega 3.

i just pick one off the pasture. spring summer bahia is good. never heard an complaints..20-24 mos its all good. we sell alot of beef steers

dieselbeef":yubsb5f2 said:
i just pick one off the pasture. spring summer bahia is good. never heard an complaints..20-24 mos its all good. we sell alot of beef steers
That's what I do. I don't want to go to trouble of putting one up by himself for however long, and having to feed and water every day...besides the xtra cost. Let him run with the herd and be happy as a lark.
Maybe grassfed is healthier, who knows. The most important thing is raising it yourself regardless of what you feed it. At least you know what you are eating.

something to be said for fa and marbling but for us we prefer the leaner different flavor of the grass finished. i sell about 10 yr for people to butcher. usually in the early summer after the spring grass has thickened up and theyve had a few months on it. tyr to get them of age and on goodness at the same time can be a problem tho

its really and time and taste thing. grain can be finished anytime. grass not so much. takes alot longer.
depends on what ya like better.