Grass string

Help Support CattleToday:

LFF

Reaction score
How do you feed large round bales? Do you use poly twine or grass (sil???) twine? Dad use to feed round bales with poly twine and did not remove it , however I got tired of picking it up :mad: in the field and started using the old style twine that will rot. Do you have any problems with cows eating the twine if you leave it on the bales? He never had any known problems with cows if they ate the poly twine. :roll:

Never heard of them eating the poly twine, but I've seen it get caught on calves before. You know calves, they'll get into anything. I think you made the right decision to switch back to a more degradeable twine; I'd hate to drive into a pasture and see one of my calves hog tied - by himself.

I only use the biodegradeable stuff and I don't remove it when I put out hay in the pastures. I do in my replacment pen just because its close and I have a different type of hay feeder for them.

Cypress - cows will eat the poly twine and in time with enough of it build up in the stomach they can't eat enough nutrition to keep them alive and they will eventually starve to death.

sidney411":2bkz0j1s said:
Cypress - cows will eat the poly twine and in time with enough of it build up in the stomach they can't eat enough nutrition to keep them alive and they will eventually starve to death.

Maybe so; I haven't seen it, but I'm definitely no book of knowledge. The only problem I've seen firsthand is the getting caught in it problem.

We have plastic net wrap on the dry bales, and net wrap + white plastic on the baleage. We remove EVERYTHING.
Sissel twine is biodegradeable - but it "degrades" while it is stored on the ground (if like us, you have to store outside). Once the bottom twine rots, the bales "puff" out and lose a lot of nutrition.
Cattle will DEFINATELY eat sissel, plastic, net - and everything else. A cow can eat a small amount and pass it out with their manure - or I've seen them caugh it up with their cud & spit it out, but, if they eat larger amounts, it just sits there & takes up space that is needed for real food. Calves can get "blockage" real easy eating any kind of twine.
It always amazes me to drive by a junky farm that has plastic & twine everywhere - and they NEVER seem to have one die.
Man, if I left 1/10 of that suff around, my BEST calf would be dead sure as heck. Go figure!

We have polytwine. I cut it with a pocketknife and pull it off the bale and wind it up prior to dropping the bale in the ring. It's discarded or burned up later. I definitely would not leave that stuff in the pasture if I could help it. I would worry about sisal rotting before I needed to feed the bale since I sometimes keep hay over until the following year.

There is a "Biodegradable" plastic twine out now. It doesn't rot as fast as sisal but doesn't last forever either.

I have a neighbor who used it this year.

We'll see.

We killed a fat last year (simangus) and he had a big ball of poly twine in his rumen didn't effect him much he gained well and had anice finish on him.

Have found poly twine along with all sorts of stuff in the rumen of cows...my slaughter guy told me he once found a soft ball in a Simi steer, was what made him sick.
I remove all the poly all the time.

In my opinion, the poly is dangerous if left on the bale. I was dumping a bale in the feeder for the bull a couple years ago after dark, when I noticed a piece of poly on the ground that I'd apparently dropped the last time I put hay out. It was partly frozen in the ground, and I started pulling and cutting it loose when the bull got his foot caught in one end and the other end wrapped around my foot. He didn't much care for it (I didn't either) and he headed away. Meanwhile, I'm hopping and tripping trying to reach the twine to cut it. Finally got it cut and got it off of him, but it scared the heck out of me.
If he had panicked, I'd have been drug across frozen, cattle trampled mud. Not a pretty thought. I don't use poly anymore, and cut the strings off before going in the pasture now.

milesvb":2fqdgw9x said:
We have polytwine. I cut it with a pocketknife and pull it off the bale and wind it up prior to dropping the bale in the ring. It's discarded or burned up later. I definitely would not leave that stuff in the pasture if I could help it. I would worry about sisal rotting before I needed to feed the bale since I sometimes keep hay over until the following year.

I do the same.

I tend to think it is pure lazyness to not remove the twine or string. I can take the twing off a bale in less than 30 seconds. Takes me ALOT longer to replace a bearing of any kind.

Don't use plastic twine here anymore. Back when I had bought bales with plastic twine, I always removed it prior to putting bales out. You never get it all if you try to pick it up after the cattle eat.

We use plastic but always cut it when feeding. I hate to see people leaving that stuff everywhere. I have had to pull it out of a cow's mouth when I'm putting the hay out and she grabs a bite before I can get all of the string off. I don't like using the grass string because we have to store most of the hay outside and by the time we're feeding the hay, the string has rotted, then you have the bales starting to come apart when moving them. One time someone left the gate open and one of my big bulls had gotten into the hay bales and made a huge mess. He had hay strings all over his head and I had a heck of a time getting them cut off of him. Remember, we have Longhorns, he had those strings wrapped about as tight as he could get them around his horns.

We take twine or netwrap off the bales when putting them out now.

Odd that nobody mentioned cutting that twine off the manure spreader flails. (Embarrassed to admit that I became an expert at that.) We don't do it as often as we should, but we try to scoop up all the muck where the hay rings have been and spread it...the manure pack gets deep after a few months.

We use the plain old rope twine. There are two tricks to it. Move the bales off the field with a stabber or a prong, and feed them with a bale fork. Using a prong, doesn't break the twine, and it will hold up till feeding time. If not, maybe put it on a little thicker. Use the fork to feed, it will get under the bottom of the bale and you won't loose it when you move it, especially if the bottom of the bale is froze down. We put about 1/2 of what we raise in a shed, so we don't have any trouble with the sisal(?) twine then. We don't remove it.

The trouble with plastic is that our baler (JD 530) begins wrapping as you are baling, and we usually keep baling until the twine arm makes one pass. You can never get all of it out. Plus with it or the net wrap you have to throw all that junk back up in the cab, and after the first couple of bales you don't seem to be doing anything but dragging it out every time you get out of the tractor. Then you have to pull the whole mess out to burn it, or throw it in the dumpster, as it manages to hook and pull everything else you might have in the cab (especially the long chain we usually carry). The only reason we would consider the net wrap is for the faster wrapping, but so far we just haven't wanted the hassle of feeding them. If you were going to sell or buy some hay, or if it was going to do alot of loading and unloading onto trailers as you fed it, the plastic twine or net wrap, might be worth the hassle.

Latest posts