Grass seed drill without discing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Timmer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I live in sand and already struggle with healthy pasture grass, but then we had a terrible draught for most of the summer. The pasture thinned out and weeds set in. Our beef cattle go off in a couple of weeks. Once they are gone I will be spaying for weeds and I'd like to put down some pasture grass seed either immediately or in the spring. I've got a 3 pt broadcast spreader I could use to over seed. I've tried other's recommendations 1) mowing before seeding in order to ensure the new grass isn't choked out and has plenty of sunlight, and 2) mowing after seeding in order retain moisture from the laid down grass and ensure the seeds sprout, and haven't had great success either way. I have a line on a grain drill with grass seed hopper which in my mind would ensure better seed growth. My question is whether I could use that to overseed without discing first? I really don't want to start my pasture completely over. I am aware that no till drills exist, so I assume a standard drill must have a limitation, but would it be completely unusable or just difficult? As noted I'm on sand so I have more leeway than other soils (eg, no problem using a disc that is too big for my tractor and hp).

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

I have an old international drill that I've run out in unworked fields before to clean out and had wheat come up good from it.

Won't be any worse than broadcasting.

We have pretty good luck, with mowing short, and using an old grain drill after a rain.
IH model 10 drill.JPG

I don't live in your country so I wouldn't really know but for this time of the year, your autumn I would think that just an annual like annual ryegrass would be your best bet.

Ken