Grass overload

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
This is the time of year things start slowing down around us. We out to move equipment and had to drive over our hay fields and they are already ready to cut again. And, that is before the forecasted 10 days of rain we are suppose to get. We've already sold some of our hay and have 2 years stored for us. But to get the same again, maybe more and its way better quality.
Its going to be interesting to see what happens when you get a rainy august. Not that i'm complaining, not at all.... :D Warm dry winters, cool wet summers, if this is global warming, i'm all for it.

I'm sure we aren't the only ones who will be stuck inside with this system that is going to sit over us for over a week. We'll probably do wood stuff, ie, redo out living room with the wood that's in the kiln.
What kind of things do you guys do in bad weather?

Except for dirt work, the same things I do in good weather. I buy hay, so don't have to deal with weather delays in that regard, but fencing and cattle work goes on rain or shine. I was born wet, same as the calves are. Work everyday for 3 months in monsoon and you get used to just getting out in it first thing in the morning and get soaking wet.

Went out to see what was flooded and even with 2 inches of rain, no water in the ditches. Daughter to the south of us got less, inlaws got 1/2 more, and further north got way more. Creek is almost over the bank which means more rain west.
Could do good for a long time with no more rain, but that's not how it goes out here. Its either too much or not enough.

greybeard":3uc2mdvy said:
Except for dirt work, the same things I do in good weather. I buy hay, so don't have to deal with weather delays in that regard, but fencing and cattle work goes on rain or shine. I was born wet, same as the calves are. Work everyday for 3 months in monsoon and you get used to just getting out in it first thing in the morning and get soaking wet.

I'd just as well be wet from rain as sweat.

cowgirl8":30d1v821 said:
I'm sure we aren't the only ones who will be stuck inside with this system that is going to sit over us for over a week. We'll probably do wood stuff, ie, redo out living room with the wood that's in the kiln.

If the weather is bad at the house we go somewhere where it's nice usually. I like to play golf 2 or 3 times a week, and not in the rain. It was a light drizzle here this afternoon so we went riding around in the Samurai checking out the deer. We saw 18 racked bucks eating the summer clover, peas and beans this afternoon on our power lines.

True Grit Farms":1ruasby5 said:
cowgirl8":1ruasby5 said:

If the weather is bad at the house we go somewhere where it's nice usually. I like to play golf 2 or 3 times a week, and not in the rain. It was a light drizzle here this afternoon so we went riding around in the Samurai checking out the deer. We saw 18 racked bucks eating the summer clover, peas and beans this afternoon on our power lines.
We'd leave too but have a trip planned in Sept that's going to keep us away for a while. We started our living room, so I hope we'll work on it. Going to do board and batten around the walls, 8ft in red oak..Then tongue and groove on the ceiling in oak also, with 2 stained glass panels I've made set in the ceiling. Then above the board and batten, i'm thinking i'll put painted pressed tin, they'll be on the wall up high. I asked my husband a while ago if the wood in the kiln is ready and he said he didn't know if it would work for what we'll do first. So most of what we do in here is still a tree... :?

greybeard":293eafdp said:
cowgirl8":293eafdp said:
Have you seen the radar of NE Texas... its a monsoon out therrrr
When it does it for 3 months non stop, then, it's monsoon. It's a season, not an event.
It was just a goofy figure of speech. BUT, in 2009, it did rain for months. And, the 3 months will have a beginning, sill 10 days of rain forecast, in august, we could be starting another 2009... We left in 2009 and took a 5000 mile road trip. That was before we had a slide in camper, we had a topper and a mattress...

Getting worried that the tropical storm is going to be drug over us in a week or so....Texas hasn't had a tropical storm for a very long time. Cant remember the last one that drifted over N texas.... One time we got 11 inches of rain...

cowgirl8":3lymetgj said:
Getting worried that the tropical storm is going to be drug over us in a week or so....Texas hasn't had a tropical storm for a very long time. Cant remember the last one that drifted over N texas.... One time we got 11 inches of rain...

Tropical storm Hermine of September 3. 2010. We got 13 I inches in one night.

I googled the date

callmefence":sxgur8jl said:
cowgirl8":sxgur8jl said:

Tropical storm Hermine of September 3. 2010. We got 13 I inches in one night.

I googled the date
Now that's something worth googling....lol. That name Hermine, I need to google how to say that name. I've probably heard someone say it, just didn't know how it was spelled.

cowgirl8":3oyhiyk5 said:
There's only one active TS right now, on the Eastern side of this continent. TS Franklin. By Thursday, it will be deep inland down in Central America.

. That was before we had a slide in camper, we had a topper and a mattress...[/quote]
Pics or it didn't happen!
You are the Joneses !

Kingfisher":wa9ik95b said:
. That was before we had a slide in camper, we had a topper and a mattress...
Pics or it didn't happen!
You are the Joneses ![/quote]
I think at one point I have posted a picture of our slide in. Its a small one, no hangy over parts past the bed of the truck. Fits snuggly in a regular bed of our trucks. We have a rack that fits in the receiver hitch where we hang our kayaks. Its old too..love it. Much better than a mattress in a topper. You can at least stand up. We use the part that hangs over the cab of the truck for our stuff. THe table folds down into our bed. We have a 32 inch tv and hot spot, we can watch anything almost anywhere. We have a rack on the front of the truck for our generator. The fridge can work on gas or electricity. We're set when we are in it.

greybeard":294f7azf said:
cowgirl8":294f7azf said:
There's only one active TS right now, on the Eastern side of this continent. TS Franklin. By Thursday, it will be deep inland down in Central America.
If you watch the us radar in motion, yes it will drift over mexico in a few days. But, if you watch what is going on over the US, the cold front that is draped over texas, it will start pulling through and the tail that is drifting down to mexico will start pulling up an eastward. Sometimes that grabs tropical depressions and drags them over texas. When that happens, we get a lot of rain. I just watched it a few min ago, and its appears that the cold front line might be diminishing over south texas. Not sure how that will effect where the TD will go. Usually, if the cold fronts are strong when tropical storms reach the gulf or the east coast, they bounce off and just exit out the atlantic without ever hitting land. This is what has happened the past several years and why we haven't had many hit land here... there was one TD that a cold front hit, pulled up and threw out into the gulf this year already, bounced into the gulf and gained strength and floated over florida...

greybeard":ea3a5gnm said:
I think I'll just stick with Drs Jeff Masters and Bob Henson's prognostications.

OK, see where they've ended it...that's where a system here might, and I said, might, draw it up to here. If it doesn't come when its over mexico, it might drift out to the pacific then get picked up as a low pressure then pulled up and over us.... ....

There are not many forecasters who get it right 100% of the time....I get better forecast from water turtles. lol....

Latest posts