Grass only?

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus86

Reaction score
I have 24 acres in FL with lots of grass mostly Bahia. I was planning to raise up some heifers and was hoping they could just live off the pasture. Assuming the land is not overstocked is this possible? Grass, free choice minerals, and clean water.

I know someone who feeds their cows grain and hay everyday and they spend more time setting in the area they are fed them actually grazing the land they have acess too. This person said if I don't feed my cows they'll just get skinny.
Opinions welcomed

They'll do fine on grass, salt, minerals, and water. You may need to feed hay in the winter though (depending on stocking rate and local conditions).

Bahiagrass needs to be managed properly for growing animals. Study up on bahiagrass and animal nutritional needs. Look in the area and see what the animals look like and the size of the animals that thrive in your environment. Raise that kind of animals.

Anyone do grass only further up north? I got a free issue of Stockman Grass Farmer which made it sound like you can even do grass all year in the Northern Plains but I'm really skeptical, people do stalks here and feedlot. I wouldn't think it would work too good above the Mason-Dixon line.

NECowboy":39oqagii said:
Anyone do grass only further up north? I got a free issue of Stockman Grass Farmer which made it sound like you can even do grass all year in the Northern Plains but I'm really skeptical, people do stalks here and feedlot. I wouldn't think it would work too good above the Mason-Dixon line.
I read the SGF every month. I sometimes think those that don't feed hay and grain have such a setup with fences, water and such that makes that all but unattainable for a lot of us.

HDRider":3l8oyfdz said:
NECowboy":3l8oyfdz said:
I read the SGF every month. I sometimes think those that don't feed hay and grain have such a setup with fences, water and such that makes that all but unattainable for a lot of us.

That's my goal to put in more cross-fencing, water features, to make my pasture more rotational and thus increase stocking rate!! As far North as I am with significant snow cover for parts of the winter though I don't know how you could really do year-round pasture up here. Right now I run my cattle on pasture from about May 1st to November 1st and then feedlot them in the winter.

NECowboy":2b88fxdz said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: There are years I think I'm raising hay-fed Angus, not grass-fed Angus, here in upstate NY. Last winter wasn't as bad, but the previous 2 years we had snow to your knees by Thanksgiving, and spring didn't come until June.

We still have hay fields we haven't gotten a first cutting off yet (they are ready now, but it's raining this week, of course).

I sure envy anyone who only has to feed hay a couple weeks a year. I can't imagine...

NECowboy":2vqi5zym said:

I'm trying, it is tuff though and I don't have my management down yet. That to me is the most critical element outside of weather. This is my third year and the best I've been able to do is feed hay for 50 days. For me I've noticed it depends on how quick I can get the rye grass up and growing in the fall before it reallly cools down. I believe it can be done and if I can get there I am saying good bye to my hay equipment and just purchasing hay for what little time I would need it!! Hay is my biggest expense outside of fertilizer!!

I am not sure about it. Grass can provide their basic needs, but do not expect that your cows will grow bigger than you think. Just like humans, they need supplements, vitamins, minerals, and protein rich food to build muscle and to become stronger. :)

it really depends where you are in Florida. I live in south Louisiana; some years we don't have to put out much hay, some years we do. I always hate that first frost, because it's hay from then on. Then some years, like the last, there was no freeze and we had green well into December. I've also seen some times where cattlemen were haying in the summer because of draught. Nice warm winters do no good if rain doesn't come along. I'd rather have some hay in the barn and not need it then the opposite. I grow grass fed beef for a few families, and hay counts just as grass.

I do not open sacks of feed on our farm. That's the surest way to eat up your profits

Redman":3ih7zd30 said:
May you could over seed colver and oats and get by well have seen it done in north fla

Clover and oats is going to give those cows better forage in the first place.

Latest posts