grass not growing

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":1pzhb3kv said:
Couple of weeks ago i could have bought 400 4x5 bales of good quailty fertlized hay for 10.00 a bale. Hay is running out of our ears.

Does nobody stockpile hay up that way? I use to keep a 2 year supply in stock just in case of a real drought.

TexasBred":sy1pcsid said:
Does nobody stockpile hay up that way? I use to keep a 2 year supply in stock just in case of a real drought.
Not so sure if 2 years supply is enough anymore. :shock:

The correct answer is: Without seeing your place, and your cattle, nobody can say for sure. Every area is different. Every cow is different. The weather is different. Two inches of rain in 60 degree weather is different from two inches of rain in 95 degree weather. Only you can judge what is right for you.

I'm running 84 head of young heifers here in southwest Arkansas on a place that's only 27 acres....and probably 6 - 7 acres of that is woods. But....I put out about 6 - 9, 4 x 5 bales a week, plus grain. And yes, they still gain weight. But, some of the neighbors places might do way more....or way less. Everywhere is different.

Do what you think is right.

Jogee

24 to 1 isn't real good is it? Or is it ? I'm not sure one way or the other.

MO Farmer":3l7u46l5 said:
We have got some rain this year but our grass is not growing very well. we have 150 acres with 60 head of cows and there is not enough grass there last year we had more than enough grass. we are getting them some hay today it is good grass hay plus some grain question is will they still keep there weight and gain it as well it is freshly cut hay with a good amount of protein in it. i am hoping they will gain just as much on the good hay as they would on green grass. sorry for the questions but this is the first year that we have had to feed hay during the summer time. thanks

Ya know I've noticed this same thing. We rotate our cows around on pasture, and it does not seem to be growing as fast as it should, considering the amounts of rain we have had, plus the warm spells. Now the yard is growing like crazy! :)

We planted green graze on our bottom, and even that was slow to come up, even with fertilizer applied to that. maybe its just a slow growing season, although I will take this over the past years where in July it was brown and no grass at all, where we did have to feed hay in July-knock on wood.

GMN

ga. prime":2ucow1nh said:
options":2ucow1nh said:
Jogee

24 to 1 isn't real good is it? Or is it ? I'm not sure one way or the other.

It's not good or bad. It's meaningless.

Unless you are referring to the fact that for every 25 dollars I make I get to keep one. I do think that is bad.

I still don't think I would be able to justify feeding hay starting in June. Soil test, Lime in the fall, and Fertilize next spring is a long term option. We cant control the weather. The best option is to rent more land if possible, or cull cows. Cull anything that bred late, calved late, to big, to small, bad feet, bad tits, spokes easily, doesn't raise as good a calf. You will make more money, and end up with better cows and calves in the long run. Not only are you spending allot for the hay, how well are the cows and calves going to do. Probably going to get a lot less weight to your calves when you sell them.

ga. prime

Read the link posted by jogee. I personally think 24 to 1 is the next thing to horrible, but then again thats just me.