Grass manegement

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley":vimsszir said:
I had never heard of buffelgrass.
I haven;t seen any around here in years. Getting the ph and fertility up seems to have eliminated most of it. Although at one farm we had one filed was almost pure bufflegrass and no matter what we did it never changed.

I have found through trial and a lot of errors that it is almost always best to improve what you got instead of going through the time, expense and risk of replanting. If you think you need to replant, do small sections each year to avoid some of the risk. A good herbicide treatment will allow a lot of existing grasses to strengthen and new ones seem to emerge from years of being in the seed bank.

I reworked a 30 acre pasture last year that was an old neglected field where the previous owner only planted winter wheat. The rest of the year he did nothing to it. When I got it, there was nothing of value in it. It was thick tall old growth plants that needed to be burned but that was not an option/ I shredded it and then sprayed the regrowth. I disked it twice and drilled in Rye grass and fertilized it. The Rye grass did well and I grazed it some and then baled it getting 105 4 x 5 1/2' rolls in late March. After that the weeds came back with a vengeance so it was sprayed again with Grazonnext. Not much happened until mid June when the grasses started returning. Now it is a mixture of native grasses and is providing some decent grazing. The disking got the good stuff in the seed bank active. I am repeating the process on another 50 acres patch this year.

bird dog":nw6shb0e said:
A good herbicide treatment will allow a lot of existing grasses to strengthen and new ones seem to emerge from years of being in the seed bank.

The disking got the good stuff in the seed bank active. I am repeating the process on another 50 acres patch this year.

I'm thinking that you're dang right. I ran disk through our hayfields over winter. Overseeded fescue. And sprayed. Got a nice stand now. But the majority has been OG. Timothy was seeded 25 years ago. No idea about the OG. But they were definitely in the bank. Not much of either last year.

Would it be helpful to run the disk every fall? Enough to just scratch the surface.

"Would it be helpful to run the disk every fall? Enough to just scratch the surface."

As always, it depends. If things are improving than I wouldn't. If in decline, then it should be considered. I think it would be the same with introduced grasses like Bemuda. If you disc you are also going to stir up more weed seeds so you will have to spray again. In my area of Texas there seems to always be lots of Rye grass seed in the seed bank. Discing in the fall will always improve your stand but it will also increase your weed population the next spring after the Rye is baled or dies back from the heat.